Luthier built instrument in MI

EDW

Reaction score
I was browsing before and found this instrument

https://reverb.com/item/3188936-barley-ginney-soprano-2016

and after some digging, this link

It is an attractive instrument in the Martin style. Out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about the luthiers who built it? (apparently it is a collaboration)

Hard to tell from the pics if there is anything going on. Probably worth checking with the seller.

I am not familiar with Barley Guitars, but they specialize in Fender knock-off electric guitars. Ken McKay was mentioned in the video and he primarily makes archtop jazz/rock guitars.

From the video and pictures, I'm thinking that they were imported and possibly finished up in the US. The binding does look off and poorly done in places. The painted rosette looks out of place. It looks to have 11 frets to the body. And there is not a chance the fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood.

Call them and find out exactly what they are selling. Obviously if the ukuleles were anything close to what is being advertised they would be long gone for $300.

John

Here is some info I got from the builder:

It is a 100% hand made in conjunction with fellow builder Ken McKay. This was a run of 4 units. Solid Honduran mahogany top, back, sides and neck, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, ebony nut and saddle, Adirondack bracing and an arched back. The finish is a hand rubbed oil.

I originally thought the rosette was just painted poorly, but if you look closely at the picture (video still) it really looks horribly miss-cut into the soundboard.

I once bought what appeared to be a beautiful koa concert in a 5K style made by a luthier of high end custom jazz guitars. When I received it, it was a horrible instrument. Poor quality and finish, sunken soundboard; basically unplayable. He had made it several years earlier and evidently it was the only one he made. I sent it back to the shop selling it. Hopefully they didn't sell it to anyone else. Take it for what it's worth.

John

I originally thought the rosette was just painted poorly, but if you look closely at the picture (video still) it really looks horribly miss-cut into the soundboard.

I once bought what appeared to be a beautiful koa concert in a 5K style made by a luthier of high end custom jazz guitars. When I received it, it was a horrible instrument. Poor quality and finish, sunken soundboard; basically unplayable. He had made it several years earlier and evidently it was the only one he made. I sent it back to the shop selling it. Hopefully they didn't sell it to anyone else. Take it for what it's worth.

John

Yes, it appears to be a bit "off". Certainly building a uke is quite different from a guitar, especially sopranos.

Proper bracing and construction for tone in making an acoustic instrument is one thing. Fit and finish is something else. Woodworking is woodworking. Doesn't matter what is being made. Having that level of quality would drive me nuts... and I don't have ukuleles made by mainstream luthiers so I understand some of the quirks.

John

Top Bottom