Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone Uke with Arm Bevel and Sound Port - Picture Set

Default Baritone Uke with Arm Bevel and Sound Port - Picture Set

I try to knock out an instrument for stock every time I start a new batch of custom builds. This one was in the last batch and I wanted to try my hand at an arm bevel. Last one I did was on a guitar about 10 years ago.

This is a 21.5" scale length baritone made from Australian Blackwood with a Yellow Cedar soundboard. Gidgee bindings and fret board. Very dark and curly Australian Blackwood peg head veneers. Rubner tuners K&K Aloha Twin pickup.

Blackwood and Yellow Cedar Baritone4.jpgBlackwood and Yellow Cedar Baritone6.jpgBlackwood and Yellow Cedar Baritone9.jpgBlackwood and Yellow Cedar Baritone11.jpgBlackwood and Yellow Cedar Baritone2.jpg
    Last edited by Allen; 02-08-2018 at 08:45 PM.

It is always a pleasure to look at your craftsmanship.
    Do you think arm bevel is suitable for smaller instrument like a soprano or concert? Will it be necessary or an overkill?
    Tenor: Jupiter Doggie Parade, Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Bruce Wei Hummingbird, KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, Waterman
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21, Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

I'm not a big fan of the arm bevel thing and thought it is a bit of a bling thing, but this is one of the first I've seen that I actually like. First of all it is small and doesn't ruin the lines. Some of these arm rest things seem enormous and to my eye ugly. Like some sort of growth coming out of the lower bout. This one seems to fit. Very nice ... Now you are a God of course when it comes to building Allen, but it looks to me that the slotted peghead looks a little too delicate and might be prone to catastrophic failure if that thing ever got dropped on its head. A little thin there perhaps? Maybe sailing a little close to the wind there? Just my thought. Looks great.

"I try to knock out an instrument for stock every time I start a new batch of custom builds."

I would love to be able to 'knock out' something as beautiful as this once in a while: you seem to be able to do it every time you pick up a piece of wood!

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Now you are a God of course when it comes to building Allen, but it looks to me that the slotted peghead looks a little too delicate and might be prone to catastrophic failure if that thing ever got dropped on its head. A little thin there perhaps? Maybe sailing a little close to the wind there? Just my thought. Looks great.
    If you could manage to break one of my headstocks then your the man. Scarf joint, veneer on both sides and Carbon Fiber truss rod into the head stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapyang View Post
    It is always a pleasure to look at your craftsmanship.
    Do you think arm bevel is suitable for smaller instrument like a soprano or concert? Will it be necessary or an overkill?
    I think that the smallest I would ever do an arm bevel is on a concert. Even then I'm not sure what benefit you could get from it because of the way your arm is going to be in contact with a smaller and shallower instrument.

Oh, my, that is the closest thing to perfection that I've ever seen! Surely your best up to now?

Bob

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm fairly pleased with how this one turned out.

The new finish I'm using it absolutely amazing. So much more gloss than nitro cellulose, thinner and much harder. And full cure overnight. No more waiting for weeks for the solvents to bleed out.

What are you using, it looks great?

Thread Information