Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did it take you

Default How long did it take you

I know everyone is different but how long did it take you to feel comfortable with your ukulele as far as transitioning chords and strumming?

Quote Originally Posted by newtou View Post
    I know everyone is different but how long did it take you to feel comfortable with your ukulele as far as transitioning chords and strumming?
    I started in December 2015, & I'm still not good at this strum & sing thing - but that's mainly because I prefer to pick melody lines.

I can swap between the easy chords reasonably well - & I did take about a year out, whilst I was learning to play my chromatic harmonicas.

I would estimate that if you practice for half an hour a day, you'll have the easy ones nailed within a couple of months.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

I'm sure everyone will give the generic answer of "Practice, practice, practice" and that's definitely the best suggestion. I liked Uncle Rod's Bootcamp download/booklet when I was starting out. I'd say 3-6 months if you're practicing regularly.
    I'll say though that playing and singing at the same time is even more confusing!
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/up..._camp_2013.pdf

If you haven't seen this.

Start playing these sheets and you will learn chord progressions as a bonus without thought. When I first started playing getting thru the first line was tough then after a few days I moved onto the second line. When I got stuck I would identify which chords I was having an issue with and concentrate on switching to that chord only for five or ten minutes.

Pick a song and play in and play it and play it till you make it your own and can play it asleep. At least that was my plan thats been working for me.
    This space reserved for a smart or witty comment or a famous quote. It may also be used to promote my accomplishments should I ever accomplish anything worth sharing.

I agree with Igor--3-6 months to really feel comfortable with enough chords to play a good number of interesting tunes. Less time probably for songs that have very basic three or four chord progression. Even then, a few weeks of practice at a particular tune might be necessary to cement a solid performance.

Learning new and more complicated chord shapes eventually becomes easier once you have developed some flexibility and dexterity in your fingers. If you are a beginner, you will be much more adept at learning new chords in year two than you were in year one.

Playing music well is a challenging endeavor, but the journey is both arduous and fun, and the rewards are fruitful for the rest of your life. Keep at it. You won't regret it.

Yeah, 3-6 months sounds realistic. Obviously there will be a lot of room for improvement after that, but that is about how long it takes to get comfortable with basic chord transitioning.

59 years and still workin' at it.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 02-09-2018 at 09:01 PM.

I practice about half an hour a day and it took me about 4 months to be able to strum and sing my first song.
    My buddy practices 2-3 hours a day and he is infinity better than I am even though he only started 6 weeks before me.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

The ukulele is the first musical instrument I’ve played, other than drums many years ago in high school. I’ve been playing about 9 months now. I play at least 30 minutes a day. I don’t really follow any structured practice routine. The first 3 months I played I just learned stuff from YouTube. Then I found a regular group to play with at a monthly jam. I also started going to a weekly workshop with a small group of people and a good teacher. Finding these groups to play with and learn from has helped me a lot.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

Another variable to this question is one's intention/goal. It takes three to six seconds to learn to strum the C6 chord. A raw beginner could learn the three shapes needed for any pop song in a day. Beyond that, it all depends on how expansive your goals are. For example, after a year's intermittent practice I can fumble along in any key. I can duplicate some jazz guitar on the ukulele as long as the youtube musician says what he is doing (i.e., I can't watch a guitarist's fingers and know what he's doing, but if he calls out go to Ebmaj7, I can do that). So, in general, I agree that in half a year, a strummer should be well along the path.

Thread Information