A new ukulele song book index; search by chords you know

joewe

Reaction score
UkeAbility.org is a better index for ukulele song books. Click the chord diagrams you know, and it shows you the songs you can play.

I made a website that allows you to search ukulele song books based on which chords you know. Right now, I only have the two Daily Ukulele books (731 songs, 175 chords!) entered into the database. I’m hoping to add the Hal Leonard Fake Book soon. I’m taking requests for other books. Those are the 3 books I play from most often when I’m strumming.

The site also keeps track of which chords you know and makes recommendations on which chords you should learn next to maximize the songs you could play. For example, if I learn G#dim (1-2-1-2) I can play 26 new songs in the Daily books. You can also save a list of favorite songs and display it with the chords.

Accounts are optional. If you don’t create an account, your chord and song data is stored in your browser’s local storage.

Other than adding more books, I’m planning to add alternative chord shapes, and chord diagrams for baritone and Bb tuning (a personal favorite).

There are no actual songs, lyrics, lead sheets or tabs displayed on the site, nor do I link off to any of those sites. It’s merely a better index/search for the physical books.

Thanks for taking a look!

Joe

This is about the coolest thing I've seen. I do have a suggestion though. It would be nice to have a tab that shows only those songs that you can play.

I was just noticing the same thing...if you can play 5 songs with three chords that you know...it would be good to be able to see a list of what those five songs were.

Edit...I was on my phone and couldn’t see the screen as well as on my iPad Pro.

This feature is there. You enter the chords on the chords page, and then songs, and then limit yourself to songs with those chords. Awesome. Great for music education, too!

6ACCEC7B-1D28-419D-95A1-0C774B67D444.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Very cool. I like that you can filter and see just the songs you can play. I can play way more than I thought. Can anybody guess what I will be doing all weekend? Thank you for sharing!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I've added a tab/button for "Songs with chords you know". The tabs become buttons on small screens.

Screenshot 2018-02-10 14.10.32.png

And here's a screenshot of the main list (now that I learned how to upload pics to the forum!). On the site, you'd click the chord if you know it and the display will recalculate your songs.

Screenshot 2018-02-10 14.12.18.jpg

Choirguy I'll reply to your e-mail directly now. I think I can help with that. Using this to find play-alongs would be cool.

Joe

https://ukeability.org/videos/

I've just added 480 play-along videos to the UkeAbility search index. You can now filter and search for videos.

Thanks to everyone for helping and suggesting/providing links to sources.

joe

Top Bottom