Baritone strings for laminates?

maki66

Reaction score
Yes, I'm sorry. Yet another string thread.
To be fair to myself I've spent many hours going through many threads.
There was lots of good advice and some very technical discussion, but...
My question is really simple, what is a good/dependable string set for baritone ukuleles in standard tuning on low price laminates?

Mine is a super basic Kala KA-B, Thank you very much!

I would put Living Water strings on it, but that's a personal choice, any fluorocarbons should work OK. :)

(I'm not a fan of wound strings, but if you're up for experimenting, I bought & used some cheap classical guitar strings on some of my ukes.)

I have Worth clears on my Lanakai and they’re excellent. If Living Water bari strings are all unwound, they should be fine as well.

I have a Gianinni mahogany laminate with Martin M630 strings. The D and G are wound which I prefer, the florocarbon B and E are thinner and brighter than any other baritone string set I have tried. This really helps with mellow and dull sounding baritones. D'Addario Titanium baritone strings are another set I really like, a bit thicker and warmer but still articulate

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I ordered a set of Living Waters, and a set from Southcoast(HU-NW: Heavy Gauge Ukulele Set - no wound strings).
I do like the stock Aquilla Super Nygut strings and will keep them on until they get worn out, and I come back here when I have a new set on.

My reply a day late and a dollar short but when I used to own a Baritone Canadian Northern style ukulele clone made of laminate I was perfectly happy using a set of Aquila Nylguts. I haver always been very satisfied with Nylguts and laminates, they seem to agree with each other quite consistently.

My reply a day late and a dollar short but when I used to own a Baritone Canadian Northern style ukulele clone made of laminate I was perfectly happy using a set of Aquila Nylguts. I haver always been very satisfied with Nylguts and laminates, they seem to agree with each other quite consistently.

The Nyguts do sound very good indeed. I really like them on the baritone.

Top Bottom