Sunday (from "Flower Drum Song"

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
I think "Flower Drum Song" is somewhat forgotten among all the other great musicals by Rodgers and Hammerstein, but in my opinion has some of the best songs -- lovely ballads like "You Are Beautiful" and "Love Look Away" and lively songs like "Chop Suey," "Grant Avenue," and "I Enjoy Being a Girl." I like this song a lot:

[Bb] Now that we're [Bbmaj7] going to be [Gm7] married
[Bb] I keep i[Bbmaj7]magining [Gm7] things
[Cm7] Things that can happen to people
When they are wearing [Cm6] gold [Bbmaj7] rings
[Bbm7] Being together each morning
[A7] sharing our coffee and [D] toast
[Bb7] That’s only one of the [Cm7] pictures
Here's [Bb] what I [C7] picture [Cm7] most: [F7]

[Bb] Sunday, sweet [Cm7] Sunday
with [F7] nothing to [Bbmaj7] do
[Bb] Lazy and [Cm7] lovely
My [F7] one day with [Bb7] you
[Eb] Hazy and [Gm6] happy
We'll [Gm7] drift through the [Gm6] day
[Bbmaj7] Dreaming the [Cm7] hours [F7] a- [Bb]way [ Cm7 Bb ]

While all the [Bb] funny papers lie or fly
a[F7]round the place
[Bb] I will try my [C7] kisses on your
[Eb+] funny [F7] face [ Cm F7 ]
[Bb] Dozing, then [Cm7] waking
On [F7] Sunday you'll [Bbmaj7] see...
[Eb] On—[F7]ly... [Bb] me

Thanks for the song! I love Rodgers and Hammerstein, but this is a new one for me. Perfectly suited to the sweetness of uke.

Thanks, OhioBelle! There's another song I want to do from this musical someday! :)

Good job on the song; thanks for sharing it and also the chords.
I agree with you that music from Flower Drum Song is under rated and under the radar. I re-saw the movie a few months ago, after not seeing it since I was a kid. I never realized it, but it was the first Hollywood film with an all Asian cast; acting as well as singing was superb!
Looking forward for your next song.

Thanks, luv2uke! I agree that the Asian cast was great and I would add that the choreography was fantastic! A remake of the movie could revive interest in this musical, but I think they would have a hard time matching the casting and choreography of the original! I would make a special trip to Broadway if they ever brought it back to the stage! :)

If they did a remake of the musical, you should apply for one of the parts and do a song or two with your ukulele, then all of the ukulele world would watch you.

That would be one of the hundred million miracles! :)

Thanks, Aspieman! I really appreciate it! :)

Thanks, Campbell! Really appreciate it! :)

Top Bottom