SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

Okay, I finally did an open-G. I think I'm getting slightly better with open tuning. Slightly.

Here is my contribution for this week: The Midnight Special. According to Wikipedia, it was first written in 1905 and popularized by Lead Belly. I'm doing Creedence Clearwater Revival's version, (in the key of G), slowed way down and with an added verse I found in a songbook. Hope you enjoy. :)

Here's just one more original in open G. It was intended to be blues, but I think it ended up more rockabilly-is

Very very nice, RalphThatMatters :) I do believe you are the one and only Seasonista who has not missed one single week. Congratulations!!

SOTU 313: 12 BAR PATIO BLUES - dd, Lil' Ev & Dave

I see things are really rolling fast on Season 314, but I believe I still have 6 more hours before anyone here turns into a pumpkin. Since I spent so much time working on my original this week, I've only managed to get one song done. So, I took advantage of a spontaneous jam this afternoon to try and get another video quickly in before midnight HI time. :)

We had a warm, sunny, late winter afternoon here in Roanoke and took advantage to move outdoors and do some strumming on the patio - alongside a very noisy gold fish pond!

Our friend Dave joined Evelyn and I to try our hands with open tunings. (Many thanks to Rob's tutorial on C7 tunings.) . My baritone is tuned to G7 (F, B, G, D) and Dave is playing the very first uke I ever built, a solid mahogany tenor resonator tuned to C7 (A#, E, C, G). Evelyn was playing a C harmonica I believe, and the goldfish pond was tuned to "long overdue for cleaning!"

The song is "Baby What You Want Me To Do" by Jimmy Reed (1959). We had a lot of fun throwing this quick one together. Hope you have some fun joining in with us:

Thanks for hosting Linda! This is an Eddie Vedder song from the soundtrack of "Into the Wild". It qualifies by virtue of being in the key of G.

11th hour entry. Been getting my butt kicked by bronchitis and this is the first time I've tried singing in almost 3 weeks. Barely made it through without coughing :)

I appreciate everyone that participated today. It's always hard on Sunday when there are both seasons happening at the same time. History has shown us that there is an excitement to move on to the new season, and that is terrific. That is why we have made it this long. The seasons are an ever growing and learning experience for everyone.

I've had a great time this week with all of you. There is still a few hours left before this 313 is closed. I will watch and comment if anything else comes in Tomorrow. I will wrap this week up as soon as I get the chance.

We did have some great songs come in today. I think in all we had 100 vidoes and each one of them is worth a watch. Thank you all so much for embracing this week :)

Happy Strumming!

This was a fun and challenging Season for me. Congrats, Linda, you hit a home run! And boy, did I learn a lot from the Seasonistas!

This toook ages to make because of computers...Slowing down and speeding up video track, no sound, too MUCH sound...buffering sound ...slowing up and speeding down vids...more swearing and cussing than a regiment of troopers in a foul mood, no synchronisation , no synchopation and did I mention the slowing down and speeding up video track ....which then stopped whilst the sound blithely carried on.Bloody Hell..that was a week ...Did I mention the slowi- *

Bugger. It's Monday isn't it ?

* Stop it . Editor.

Last edited:
REALLY great week! i thought i knew a thing or two about open tunings but i learned a whole new bunch of stuff about them this week! great theme, great blues party, i think we did fred proud! thank you so much for hosting!

Thanks for hosting Linda! This is an Eddie Vedder song from the soundtrack of "Into the Wild". It qualifies by virtue of being in the key of G.

11th hour entry. Been getting my butt kicked by bronchitis and this is the first time I've tried singing in almost 3 weeks. Barely made it through without coughing :)

This one totally works with your bronchitis rasp, Kevin.
Also love the folk-picking/fingerstyle, or whatever you'd call the style.

Greetings,

Thanks so much for hosting. I didn't get to listen to but a few vids (work and all that) but I did learn about open tuning which is a blessing. I kept my bari tuned that way for now, to learn a bit more about the blues and how easy it is to play that way! I would love a new set of strings for my trusty baritone so will send you a PM. It about time to restring it.
Ciao and thanks again!
Gina

Greetings,

Thanks so much for hosting. I didn't get to listen to but a few vids (work and all that) but I did learn about open tuning which is a blessing. I kept my bari tuned that way for now, to learn a bit more about the blues and how easy it is to play that way! I would love a new set of strings for my trusty baritone so will send you a PM. It about time to restring it.
Ciao and thanks again!
Gina

Ok Gina, they are on the way. Im sending you some D'Addario low G from Amazon. I hope thats fine :)

Happy strumming!

Linda

PS. Your PM box is full :)

Top Bottom