SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

yet another new uke day! :uhoh:

i'm not addicted, i just......................... oh.................. whatevs, yes i am addicted!!

"intergalactic lovesick blues" on my new made-from-a-darth-vader-tin tenor uke

tuned e flat a flat e flat a flat, so, open a flat power chord tuning :rock: i like it!!!

I'm running behind and I didn't see the post about happy bonus songs for Valentine's Day until just now, so here's a happy song a day late. It is in the key of G, which is how I always do it. This is one of my regular songs at the nursing home. I jazzed it up a little for this recording. This one was done by Jimmy Newman.

thanks for hosting the week Linda
and happy 7th anniversary to all.
some music in open D tuning on the baritone.

I would have never imagined this week would bring so many really fantastic songs from all over the world. I am calling this day Thrilling Thursday! I got an original song written and titled just for me, and another from Russia (a must listen), and some that were out of this world and another happy bonus, and other amazing entries. I am also thrilled that you all continue to step out of the box and try some sort of the open tuning. This week has had a way bigger response than I ever thought it would.

Playing the blues is always fun. There is so much creative play and lyrically it's a fun exercise. Original blues are the easiest way to write. Who doesn't like to complain! LoL

Here is Krabbers, one of our Seasonista's explaining just how simple it can be.

Freddie walked out the door one Saturday night
Freddie walked out the door one Saturday night,
Left us alone, but everything still turned out right!

Looking forward to a Fabulous Friday! :)

Last edited:
I haven't been around for a while. I felt compelled to sing these two particular original songs at an open mic tonight, for reasons that are made clear in the video, even though they are both in the key of C and are not remotely bluesy, nor in open tunings. There's not even anything 7-ish about them - except that the first one mentions weeks, and a particularly thing I used to do weekly, so every 7 days. They are both originals, but I think even originals are supposed to otherwise meet the theme.

So imagine my joy to return home and discover there's a bonus playlist for happy songs, especially happy songs about Valentine's Day. As you'll see in the vid, these songs were both selected for yesterday - which was both Valentine's Day and Ash Wednesday. And I wrote them, so you already know they are happy songs.

I must add that it is great to see some old faces join in. Because we are in our seventh year (hard to believe), it is fun to think back on the players that have influenced and inspired so many of us.

There have been some that have come, and some that have gone. There have been friends that have left their mark on our little community and some that we dearly miss.

I hope to see more of them! There is nothing like the good people here and what is a celebration without old friends!

Viva la Seasonistas!

I have just realised that yesterday's song in my 365 thing was in G, so I'll add it to the heap here. And today's could be too, so watch this space.

I saw Sonny Curtis sing this with The Crickets when they toured with Nancy Griffith (possibly 15-20 years ago?), and couldn't believe how loud Jerry Allison was on the drums, with so little effort. Possibly louder than Topper Headon of The Clash, when I saw them do the same song in 1979. In fact, hands up if you have seen The Clash AND The Crickets.:cool:

How dare you diet blues (ft technicolour VP T-shirt)

Them fruitarian got a knife and a gun They will stab me if I stand shoot me if I run
How dare they, ask me to do what they sayHow dare they treat me this way
I went on a one meal a day diet and I must confess Though it cleaned my insides out my face was a mess
How dare they how dare theyHow dare my diet treat me this way
I felt my best when my diet was high fat But the acne on my face put a stop to that
A girl who was bananas told me to eat thirty a day I could never maintain it, what more can I say
I was getting so tired I tried the water only fast But I lost all of my muscle so that didn’t last
I’ve given up on Rose, I’ve given up on Morse I’ve decided the way forward is to eat like a horse

Last edited:
Seven years of the Seasons and I'm coming up to my fifth year on here so it got me thinking..........blimey I've never ever won a Season (on merit) I've even only ever bagged two out of the hat jobs in five years Lol ............'tis enough to give ya the blues ............

actually managed to have some quality recording time. :) unfortunately, my microphone setup seems to not want to work, and my computer isn't liking recording, so it's recorded via my phone. but otherwise, I think it came out ok. Honestly glad to be contributing to the seasons again. Haven't uploaded anything since the Foreign Languages season back in March. So I'm hoping this will start me on being more of a regular again. :)

This is Aquaman's Lament, a fun little song by Mark Aaron James, and is both originally in, and played in my video in, the key of G. I wanted to try to work in Open G tuning, because of the ascending riff that comes between the vocals, and forms the base for the chorus (its essentially a G, B, C, D progression, then back down to G), but i couldn't make it sound good with my hands and ukulele, AND there's a tricky Em chord in the slower parts that was harder to pull off and hide. So I decided to stick with standard tuning, and i think it worked out alright. the shift from the G to B was a bit tricky at speed, but i think I've gotten alright with it.

All in all, fun song to play around with, and a personal fav of mine, so I'm glad i got it to work. Even if the actual recording was a bit quick and dirty. XP So here it is.

Sorry I haven't been around recently. I was in Portugal until Tuesday night (with no Internet Connection) and since then I have been very busy with a translation, but I finished it yesterday.

Thinking about the theme, I did a bit of googling about the Occult Significances of the number "7" and came across such a lot of nonsense that this song was inevitable... combining that with my less than generous view of the claims of Freudian psychology to be scientific and the song was complete.

Like Pabrizzer, I am also writing a lot of songs (but not making that many videos) for FAWM - The challenge being to produce at least 14 new songs in February. Pa is already streaks ahead and with some great stuff too.

Meanwhile here is my entry for this week

PS for any Trekkies among us.. I am still considering working on a love song for Seven of Nine ;)

PS for any Trekkies among us.. I am still considering working on a love song for Seven of Nine ;)
growl!!!!! please "make it so"!!!!!!

all riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

i know fred did swing by the anticipation thread and tell us exactly where he is and what's going on

but i'm not gonna let mere facts get in the way of a lame and repetitive homemade blues song for him

that beast of a new uke is acoustic here

still with that open a flat power chord tuning that i REALLY like

John Handcox was an organizer for the Southern Tenant Farmers Union during the Great Depression of the 1930s. He rallied crowds with his songs. He always called his songs "blues songs" even though they were adopted by Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and the rest of the Folk movement. I had the honor of meeting him and continued a friendship with him throughout the 1980s until his death in 1992. He often told the story of holding an organizing event in a sharecropper's home sometime in the 1930s, when a young boy burst through the door, out of breath, and said, "I just came from town. The Sheriff says, 'I have a rope and I have a tree. All I need is John Handcox!'" When asked what he did when he heard this, he said, "I was in the next county before sunset!"

I have a book at home called "101 Jazz and Blues Hits for Buskers" and this song was in it. I was intrigued by it so I looked further into it and came across an extract from a book by a folk song collector in rural USA from the 1920s that had two more verses in it. It seems that this song is a traditional African American song. I really like the haunting melody. I'm not sure it's strictly blues but its form is related. The book had chords for it in F and I had previously tabbed out an intro which I wanted to use, so I tuned my Brüko soprano up to ADF#B which now puts it in G so it fits the theme though it did push me to the top of my vocal range.

It's kinda bluesy and I think Fred would like it.

This was written as a skirmish prompt at FAWM that was given 52 minutes ago. The prompt was TRAVEL.
That's Curt's (my son) Harley. If you've been around here you've seen him playing the cahon with me at times.
In a skirmish you've got to have an original song written and presented in an hour. Of course some folk just write lyrics and call it a song. Sheesh.

Last edited:
A late entry due to the member (that would be me..:rolleyes: !!) being nearly senile & absolutely clueless. The theme this week is "The Seventh Year Celebration"... with BLUES in the key of G" and it's hosted by the talented, helpful, beautiful & exotic Linda Louden.

Greetings,

Horrible as I think this is, somehow I had to put it up. It's alternate tuning on the bari - home made song called Spaghetti Squash. It captures a bluesy state of mind, so I am letting it live at least for now.

:)

Top Bottom