SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

Check out Mr. Dave on a lap steel resonator tenor...skip to 4:30 if you want to avoid the first song

He 's one of of my absolute slide heroes..You might find this inspirational as much as I do

I have stayed with the blues for today's song. I only found out today that Bessie Smith's hit version of this was released two weeks before the Wall Street crash of 1929. Very prophetic.

Never been too good at the blues. But I'm definitely fond of open tuning and the key of G. XP. Might be able to contribute this time around. Got a good idea for a song that's naturally keyed in G, and would probably sound really awesome in open G tuning. Though, gotta get used to playing an Em in open G... Might even pull out the guitar and mosey over to the "other instruments" thread, for a song I know with the oddest (possibly open) tuning. BDDDDD. Bonus points yo anyone who knows it. X3

Either way. Definitely a fan of listening to the blues, even if it's not my usual playing wheelhouse. So definitely gonna be enjoying the entries.

Thanks for that LucilleJustRocks. That was fascinating, mesmerizing and inspirational!

Season 313. Submission 1. "Around The World" (Words by Harold Adamson and music by Victor Young, 1956)
From the film "Around The World in 80 Days" (1956)

Happy Anniversary to all those Seasonistas who are celebrating this week! And thank you, Linda, for helping Fred out this week. And what a terrific theme you've chosen. :)

Linda, I've chosen a song in the key of G. Well, I think it's in the key of G. It starts and ends on a G and there are lots of G chords in the middle. I hope you'll think it's in the key of G. ;)

I'd like to add to this week's celebration by introducing my puppy Winston to the Seasons. When Jax passed on Christmas Eve, Seamus mourned, as did I. Two weeks ago Saturday I brought home an 8 week Russell terrier (Not Jack Russell). His name is Winston.

Thank you again, Linda!

Last edited:
Never been too good at the blues. But I'm definitely fond of open tuning and the key of G. XP. Might be able to contribute this time around. Got a good idea for a song that's naturally keyed in G, and would probably sound really awesome in open G tuning. Though, gotta get used to playing an Em in open G... Might even pull out the guitar and mosey over to the "other instruments" thread, for a song I know with the oddest (possibly open) tuning. BDDDDD. Bonus points yo anyone who knows it. X3

Either way. Definitely, a fan of listening to the blues, even if it's not my usual playing wheelhouse. So definitely gonna be enjoying the entries.

That's great to hear Mike. That's what this week is all about. Fun and trying something new!

This song has already been done by YorkSteve. But his version is in the key of G, while mine is in F.
But hey, it's a real Blues!

Here's the opening track off Stevie Ray Vaughn's debut album, "Texas Flood". My dad took me to see Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble at a bar when I was 15, before they were famous. I always thought this was more of a rockabilly song than a blues song, but it still qualifies I believe. I'm in G here. Obviously, I can't play ukulele like Stevie Ray Vaughn played guitar. lol

Hi, Linda! The Midnight Recording Studios in Southwest France brings you a song in G. (After all that brave talk about open tuning and bottlenecks, this has absolutely nothing to do with the Blues - I couldn't find the right-shaped lightbulb - but the title is sort of appropriate in that a "Show" is what we put on for one another every week.)

I tuned my trusty old low-G tenor to open G and started playing around with what I consider "normal" chord shapes, and eventually got this. I tried to do a side-by-side video, but it's not working again. Sometimes the last windows update messes it up, and sometimes it fixes it. So I just mixed the audio with one video.

Here's a Jim Lauderdale blues song I wanted to try. This was a challenge for me to attempt in open F minor.

Been on this kick where I have been trying to learn all of “London Calling” by The Clash because the world needs a one man ukulele Clash cover band (desperately), so here is Hateful (track four).
I learned that the key of G is the most played key fornsongs played on Spotify, because it is accessible on both guitar and piano. Mike Pence says the earth is flat and there is no key of G, but there is, and it gets played. The data confirms it.
Fun season- thanks for taking the reigns Linda

SOTU 313(1) Nashville Blues: normal

For my first entry, here's a a) blues song; 2) in G. I've played this for a previous season in C, I think. Doc Watson did the definitive version, and Sam Bush opens some shows with it.

SOTU 313(2): Nashville Blues, weird version

OK, for second entry, here's the same song, played open G tuning, on my bari. Bonus points for hitting the trifecta? IDK if this is the first time I've done a season entry on the bari (short-term memory loss), but this is fun. And challenging. I practiced this in a much more complicated fashion that I may put on the island, cuz I'll screw it up.

313-3-Sam Cooke blues

I'd swear I posted this but can't find it in the thread so maybe I didn't hit the submit button. weird....

An original, played on a bari open-tuned to G. I learned that my open-tune playing skills are not strong! Great challenge/opportunity!

Thanks for tonight gang. I thought this season had died already. We had some terrific entries tonight and some great stuff this morning. Another 18 vids for Monday.

Many of you tried your finger at open tuning and found it a little challenging. I have to say this is a great way to realize the alternatives to this little uke. We had some real fine originals come in today and some brilliant creative playing that would have even the pros in awe.

Thanks for another great day!

Top Bottom