SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

named for the fact that I cannot remember who I learned this from. Or what the name of the song is. It is only a part of a song up to a point. Then I made up the rest. In the original he uses a glass slide which I don’t have so I stopped learning it at that point. Many a year ago, so I’ve been playing half a song for years now.

Last edited:
SOTU 307: IF THE WATERS ARE FINE - Original Song by Dennis & Evelyn Danner

I always hope to find inspiration for an Original with each Season, and I may have tried too hard for the theme of "Sevens." Sometimes, you just have to go where the song takes you, and that was the case this time. I ended up in the Relative Minor of G. Is E minor close enough? I started out writing a 12 bar blues progression, but I'm not sure what I have now, although Evelyn says it is a good one to dance to! I DID have to use a seventh chord (B7) to get the feel I wanted. Maybe that will count!

Sorry Linda . . . I really wanted to hit closer to theme target with this, but here it is: "IF THE WATERS ARE FINE." I hope everyone enjoys it, and find it a bit thought provoking.

{title:IF THE WATERS ARE FINE - Dennis Danner}
{subtitle:Started: 02.12.2018, Last Edited: 02.16.2018, dad}
{key:Em}

Intro:
Begin with pick/strum or pinch strum -
| [Em] //// | [B7] //// | [Em] //// | [B7] //// |
| [C] //// | [D] //// | [C] //// | [D] //// |
Change to strumming -
| [Em] //// | [Em] //// |

Verse 1:
| [Em] I've been waiting here at the | [B7] waterline . You been |
| [Em] looking my way for a | [B7] mighty long time. There's |
| [C] Nowhere to run, . | [D] Nowhere to hide! |
| [C] Come on in! . | [C] / (The wa - ter's ) | [Em] fine! . . . | [Em] . . . You're |

Verse 2:
| [Em] having quite a struggle trying | [B7] to decide. You're
| [Em] all alone, you've | [B7] lost your pride! You |
| [C] don't really know what you | [D] feel in -side . Well, |
| [C] Come on in! . | [C] / (The wa - ter’s) | [Em] fine! . . . | [Em] . . . . |

Chorus:
| [C] Take . . your | [D] time, . . . | [C] I . . don't | [D] mind! . . . |
| [C] I've been tempting | [D] Man since the Dawn of | [Em] Time. . . . l [Em] . . . . |

Verse 3:
| [Em] I know the question that is | [B7] on your mind |
| [Em] "Make the move now or some | [B7] other time?" Well, |
| [C] Look into the | [D] Belly of this Beast and, |
| [C] try to find your answer | [C] / (with my de - ) | [Em]feat! . . . | [Em] . . . . |

Chorus:
| [C] I've been tempting | [D] Man since the Dawn of | [Em] Time. . . . l [Em] . . . . |

Instrumental Break:
| [Em] / / / / | [B7] / / / / | [Em] / / / / | [B7] / / / / |

(I see you at the waterline, you been there a mighty long time.)
| [Em] / / / / | [C] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [Em] / / / / | [Em] / / / / |

( I've been waiting here, for a long, long time. )

Verse 4:
| [Em] God gave Jonah a | [B7] simple request. But, the |
| [Em] fear in his mind proved | [B7] quite the test . . He |
| [C] ran to the mountains, and | [D] then to the sea. He |
| [C] thought that he could | [D] hi - i - i - de | [D] . . from | [Em] me. . . . | [Em] . . . Well, |

Chorus:

Verse 5:
| [Em] Jonah needed three days to | [B7] answer this: Does His |
| [Em] Love endure? Or, is it | [B7] just a myth? . Well, |
| [C] wade on in and | [D] you might find, You
| [C] need not fear, | [D] / (IF! the waters are) | [Em] fine . . . l [Em] . . . . |

Outro:

| [C] IF your waters, . | [D] if your waters are | [Em] fine . . . l [Em] . . . . |
| [C] / / / / | [D] / / / / | [Em] / / / / l [Em] / / / / | [Em] ~

Last edited:
some more t rex. yeah baby!

i tried working on this earlier in the week, but couldn't get any chords to work - were there minor chords in the mix? major 7th chords? (i say this like i know what i'm talking about, i don't, it's just what i read off the ultimate guitar chord sheet for the song, but couldn't for the life of me make work :( )

THEN along came darth vader, with power chord open tuning, and he said, baby, there is no major or minor, there is no major thingy, there are no diminished whatsits, there are only 2 note power chords. and i believed, and simplified everything down to a very very simple 3 chorder

however, even darth vader couldn't help me sing it!!!! :uhoh:

anyway. thanks linda, thanks darth vader, thanks power chord tuning, for getting me that bit closer anyway!

Just minutes before Fabulous Friday is coming to an end and I would like to call all of you back on stage to take a bow!
We are up to almost up to 90 songs on the playlists.
We've had another day of music in the making and so far there has been no lack of brilliance.
I am looking forward to a Stupendous Saturday!

some more t rex. yeah baby!

i tried working on this earlier in the week, but couldn't get any chords to work - were there minor chords in the mix? major 7th chords? (i say this like i know what i'm talking about, i don't, it's just what i read off the ultimate guitar chord sheet for the song, but couldn't for the life of me make work :( )

THEN along came darth vader, with power chord open tuning, and he said, baby, there is no major or minor, there is no major thingy, there are no diminished whatsits, there are only 2 note power chords. and i believed, and simplified everything down to a very very simple 3 chorder

however, even darth vader couldn't help me sing it!!!! :uhoh:

anyway. thanks linda, thanks darth vader, thanks power chord tuning, for getting me that bit closer anyway!

[video=youtube;Ta8l4OStk8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta8l4OStk8A[/vido]

:rock:

Yeah baby!!!

Argh, I've got a cold and I wasn't getting very far with the instrumental blues ditty I was practicing anyway, so it looks like I won't make it this week. Sorry.

Open mic, second night in a row. This one had a theme: artists who died in the past year, or ever. My dad died 20 years ago today, so I opened with my dad song (he wrote the jazz piece for which I wrote lyrics), "And Now He's Gone". Then "Wichita Lineman" - I was the only one to do a Glenn Campbell song the whole night, which quite surprised me. Then ... NOT the first Partridge Family song ... "I Think I Love You". The last one, at least, qualifies for the bonus theme ... not sure about the first two, but they're all on one video.

oP4IkKK.jpg

Can anyone relate?

A couple months ago i played a Courtney Barnett song that Kurt Vile sung on their Lotta Sea Lice album last year. So here's the Kurt Vile song that Courtney Barnett sung on that album. There's absolutely gorgeous playing on both versions but i prefer the Courtney Barnett version. The guitar' s a bit more lush and the vocals are stunning.

I can never get my head round Kurt Vile's finger picking, so I've kinda done my own thing and tried to keep the spirit of the original. I've also taken the opportunity to change the key from D to G so I could shoehorn it into this season. Second time this week Linda's inspired me to power through a song I've never been able to get.

Is season 313 still going on?
Today, I recorded my last entry.
It's neither based on a blues progression nor is it in the key of G.
But I tried to bent some notes to give it a little bluesy feeling, and the G major chord has a guest appearance as the dominant chord.

This is an original in open G tuning. The first couple of lines are dedicated to the Seasons. The title comes from Nick Cody having to remove a cover of "St. James Infirmary" from the Original Ukulele Songs Facebook page a week ago. On my first take, I had a Ticonderoga calamity -- my No. 2 pencil slide went flying across the room during the solo.

Lyrics:

Seven years of plenty
See the seasons roll by
Watch the soaking rain pour down
From a cloudless sky

People come, they stay a while
Miss them when they go
Sometimes I see their shadow
Moving round me slow

Ticonderoga calamity!
I got St. James Infirmity

Summer. I couldn't find any songs So I wrote one.
Happy 7th Year SOTU woohoo.

Summer

Walking through the woods I dream of Summer.
Oh I’m Walking through the woods and I dream of Summer.
The nights are long, the days are gone
I dream of Summer

Silence dulls my ears and I long for Summer.
Oh Silence dulls my ears and I long for Summer.
I close my eyes and see a gentle smile
I long for summer.

I hear a happy tune I remember Summer
Oh I hear a happy tune and I remember Summer
The mornings bright the time is right
I remember Summer.

Summers back again oh Summer
Oh Summers back again oh Summer
I can breathe again, I can sing again
Oh Summer.

Last edited:
I've had a sore thumb for way too long and this week I took some time off. In fact, this theme came about because of that injury. I remembered BEV playing one finger chords a long time ago when she had an injured finger so that had me looking for my slide. I had so much fun with that song that I didn't want it to end and I thought it was a good exercise.

I have been wanting to bring some Mississippi John Hurt all week. I love his bouncy blues. I had picked this song out at the beginning of the week but put it off hoping a rest would do some good. Today Todd B had a version of this that popped up on my YT page. He was playing a slide and was playing an alternative tuning(C#G#A#C#). I don't know what the tuning is but I tuned with him by hear and then bumped it up a half step to manage the vocals (DABD). I think the tuning is from a banjo tuning.

I practiced for about an hour and then recorded so this is very very rough.

I'm kind of behind on listening to everyone else's stuff. I had to work today (mandatory overtime) and I've been sinking so much time into coming up with these noodles that I haven't had time for much else. Anyway, this one is open G on the baritone but--and here's the catch--it's not in the key of G. It's in the key of D. I didn't start out to do it that way. That's just how it turned out.:D

Still, sloppy playing as usual.

this is an original in open g tuning. The first couple of lines are dedicated to the seasons. The title comes from nick cody having to remove a cover of "st. James infirmary" from the original ukulele songs facebook page a week ago. On my first take, i had a ticonderoga calamity -- my no. 2 pencil slide went flying across the room during the solo.

lyrics:

Seven years of plenty
see the seasons roll by
watch the soaking rain pour down
from a cloudless sky

people come, they stay a while
miss them when they go
sometimes i see their shadow
moving round me slow

ticonderoga calamity!
I got st. James infirmity

do not miss this one. It is magic and a dedication to you all!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone will have covered this one. Greg Brown isn't from Oregon, but he wrote a blues ode to my home state and it just happened to be in the Key of G. Go figure. I couldn't miss a 7 year anniversary or a blues theme! I pulled out my '79 Kamaka baritone for this one.

Cheers all! Happy 7th Annniversary!

I'm turning in early tonight. This truly has been a Stupendous Saturday. Its made me so happy to see Andrew and Drew come to the party. Jim pulled out all the stops with a pencil slide and some hit their total of sevens. I cant say enough good about this week.

This seasons week is not over and I'm hoping it will continue on throughout tomorrow for a Super Sunday!
Still hoping for more of the original Seasonista's to bring us something and show us what having seven years under your Seasonista belt can do for your party playing skills :)

"Alabama Bound" is a classic blues. So I stole the melody/riff and made up some lyrics for an "original". Heh.

Ready for six more years of Seasons, y'all? Let's go!!

Top Bottom