SOTU 313 Seventh Year Celebration

So this theme was the perfect excuse to break out my slide and try a song I've been dying to try with it. Learnt the riff this morning and went for a quick one take this afternoon before the football started.

Nathan decided he wanted to join in and I realised I hadn't actually sung it while playing it before so that quick one take was out the window. Instead Nathan and I had a jam with our ukes both tuned to open A. Nathan reached an important musical milestone at the end of the video too. Gave me chance to get more of a feel for the slide as well.

Last edited:
OK, this is one that I did for an earlier Season, but I don't understand why it fit in. I kind of like the way it came out, it's in open tuning, and so it meets that condition.

But there is another reason I wanted to post this one. It features me playing a Seagull, which is kind of a dulcimer/uke combination. I would have never known about this instrument if I had not met Berni (barablanca) in person and played with him. Learning about the instrument was great, and I snatched one up when I saw it for sale used here on UU. But much more important are the friends that I have made through UU.

There are quite a few, all over the world, and I count them among my favorite companions. And that, my fellow ukers, is something that we should really celebrate on this auspicious Season - the great people who frequent this place.

I regularly think that I am one lucky guy - not only have I found an instrument that I truly love to play, but have been able to have a whole circle of wonderful people to interact with about it too. Viva Seasons! And especially Viva Seasonistas!

So you see this is what happens when I get a late night idea. It works fine in my head.
So glad I went to bed when I did. So many others smarter than I to explain open tuning. I admit I am new to open tuning too but, we have players here that understand theory and are good teachers!

Some of you did just what I was hoping and interpreted "Songs in the Key of G" to mean any type song or blues songs in G. Either way its good with me.

After seven years (if you've been around that long) we should try something new. Something we wouldn't normally try. That's why the open tuning hair-brained idea. Learn just how versatile your little uke is. One finger chords in open tuning. It just doesn't get any easier than that! If you've never tried playing up the neck here is another reason to try open tuning. This gives you the opportunity to get out of your comfort zone.
I could have stuck with G tuning for both the standard uke and the bari as Geoff explains but vocally that doesn't always work so I opened the idea in a different way to accommodate you (I realize that might have caused even more confusion). Then there are those that have to do a little studying to figure it all out. Sometimes the seasons are meant to be a challange :)

Do you have to be drunk to play open tuning? No, just open-minded!

I like what Greenie44 said about the friendships here. Lots of friendships are made here each week.

So this week have fun learning something new, trying something new and making new friends.

Because I jumped in last minute I will listen when I have the time!

The open tuning is not compulsary - just if you want to give it a went....

I went........ Watch this space, there might be something by the end of the week.
I get the feeling it could be useful for a bit of noodling when I am wondering what to play when busking. Ten minutes of sliding about might attract some attention (and ££s).

This one’s for the Wire fans—the show used a different version of this Tom Waits song as it’s theme music each season (my favorite is Season 2, as it’s Tom’s original version. This is my baritone, in open E.

Thanks so much for stepping in Linda! Here's one that's always grabbed me off David Allan Coe's debut album in 1969, which was a straight ahead blues album, "Penitentiary blues". I don't mess with alternate tunings hardly at all, so you gave me a real challenge there, and this song is a big challenge to attempt anyhow. I'm in open E here. I could have maybe gotten a better take, but it isn't a song you can do many takes of in a row without straining my voice a bit, so I kept this one.

I've edited the OP for less confusion.
I'll check back in soon to add a playlist and catch up.
Keep'em coming :)

Here's a Jimmy C Newman song from the late 50's I've been wanting to try for awhile now. I hope it's allowed for this week by our super trooper of a host. It's not full on blues, but it is blusey. Also for full disclosure, I am playing in G ukulele shapes here, but I'm actually in A. My sopranino is my one uke I use a different tuning on, because I think it sounds too pinky when I use the standard tuning on it. This song was harder to try and pull off than I had anticipated.

Great theme Linda....I feel like you should have a “blues name” after your ace slide blues last week. Howlin’ Linda Louden or something similar :D. Like last week, and the week before etc, I might not be able to take part this week, but never say never ......

Bravo Linda for coming to Fred''s rescue on such short notice! The "cup of learning potential" for your theme overfloweth! I hope I can keep up with all the stuff that I'm sure everyone will bring to 313.

Great theme Linda....I feel like you should have a “blues name” after your ace slide blues last week. Howlin’ Linda Louden or something similar :D. Like last week, and the week before etc, I might not be able to take part this week, but never say never ......

How's your vision? Blind Mama Louden has a certain ring to it too.

Linda, thanks for hosting. You're a real-life superhero! Here's a blues song I wrote this morning for the Season.

One of my favorite Leon Redbone songs Laughing Blues in open C tuning Low G.C,E,G

Here's a Steve Earle song I've always loved that popped into my head for this week. Used open Bb tuning here. This was super fun to attempt!

Still confused?

#1- Bring Fred some blues tunes. Any key. This is the easiest choice.
#2- You hate the blues you say?.....Well then, Bring me any song in the key of G.
#3- Do you want to try something new? Try a blues tune in open tuning of your choice. Refer to the OP. (Geoff explains Open G for both standard and baritone in post #6 of you want to stay on the key of G.)
#4- This week is the start of the seventh year we have had the Seasons. You can bring 7 songs.

Still confused?

#1- Bring Fred some blues tunes. Any key. This is the easiest choice.
#2- You hate the blues you say?.....Well then, Bring me any song in the key of G.
#3- Do you want to try something new? Try a blues tune in open tuning of your choice. Refer to the OP. (Geoff explains Open G for both standard and baritone in post #6 of you want to stay on the key of G.)
#4- This week is the start of the seventh year we have had the Seasons. You can bring 7 songs.

Bless you Linda.

A blues that came together as I was playing, this is an Original: I have a Cold Blues (Subtitled: I'm getting old).

Last edited:
Open G7 blues, attempted slide. The slide seems to be a little easier to use on the baritone than on the smaller ukes, for some reason.

Well, my life's pretty good, got nothin' to complain
I don't tell no lies, got nothin' to explain
I can't get the blues, and it's givin' me some pain

You know my wife loves me, and she treats me real good, too
She ain't never cheated, no she's always been true
Makes me feel so good, I can't even get the blues

No, I can't even get the blues
And I don't mean that sarcastically
If I'm singin' the blues
I only do it ironically
I'm always happy, rain or shine
And nobody ever steps on my shoes