Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1960 Hofner brought back from the dead

Default 1960 Hofner Colorama brought back from the dead

I just spent some of the winter months on restoring this old Gal..it had more holes in it than Swiss cheese due to the fitting of alien components such as a tremelo arm unit and a tune o matic bridge and several attempts at getting them in the right place...also the headstock had been messed about with due to the fitting of the wrong size tuning pegs
    leaving the holes oversize and dozens of screw holes in the back that dont line up.
    PICT0003.jpg
    PICT0016.jpg
    PICT0008 (2).jpg
    Reamed out the holes and started plugging.
    PICT0020.jpg
    Sanded flush & marked out ready for re-drilling in the correct place.
    PICT0032.jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-14-2018 at 02:16 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Anyway to cut a long story short..I drilled out and plugged up all the holes ( about 30 in total) gave it a good going over with filler ..and followed up with a complete respray including the racing stripes round the edges...recrowned the frets...fixed the electronics...Oh! and I made a new replacement bridge as well.
    And here is what it looks like now..And it's a great player as well..click on the images for larger view

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0027 (3).jpg

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0019.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-14-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Some more pics at various stages.

PICT0012.jpg
    PICT0022.jpg
    PICT0006(2).jpg
    My home made replica bridge.
    PICT0086.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-13-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Electronics .. Pickup works fine but switches and volume pot were in a bad way and falling to bits I had to do a bit of soldering and cleaning to get it to work as it should..The screw holes in the scratch plate were worn big so I had to cement a couple of pads to the underside for the screws to bite into (you can see them in the pic)
    Also I had to make a new nut cos the original had been damaged most likely by some one stringing it up as a lefty
    PICT0184.jpg
    A bit worn ..but what do you expect for nearly 60 years old.
    PICT0179.jpg
    The bad nut..and that zero fret is way too high for a good action.
    PICT0011.jpg
    New nut at the side of the original ..string slots to be cut later on set up.
    PICT0027.jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-12-2018 at 05:20 AM.

I'm curious as to whether you did this to sell , or for yourself. I've always wondered what the luthiers play , if they do.
    Do they play their latest work , do they have a favorite instrument they wont sell and keep to play?
    Or are they just too busy too play ? By the way , you look better without the glasses.
    I'll bet that guitar is better now than it was when new.
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 02-12-2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Old Age
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by Pukulele Pete View Post
    I'm curious as to whether you did this to sell , or for yourself. I've always wondered what the luthiers play , if they do.
    Do they play their latest work , do they have a favorite instrument they wont sell and keep to play?
    Or are they just too busy too play ? By the way , you look better without the glasses.
    My main instrument I play the most is the tenor pallet ukulele that I made years ago my pallet.jpg..I play mostly old standards and a bit of Buddy Holly now and again.
    I did this for nostalgia and I felt sorry for it being all beat up like that ...I used to have one similar to this one when I was a handsom young man and a Pop star..only mine was blue and silver like the one on the right in this picture My first real electric guitar it cost me 18 gns in 1958....I intend to use the measurements from this one to build a replica of the silver/blue one one day
    colorama collection.jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-12-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    My main instrument I play the most is the tenor pallet ukulele that I made years ago my pallet.jpg..I play mostly old standards and a bit of Buddy Holly now and again.
    I did this for nostalgia and I felt sorry for it being all beat up like that ...I used to have one similar to this one when I was a handsom young man and a Pop star..only mine was blue and silver like the one on the right in this picture My first real electric guitar it cost me 18 gns in 1958....I intend to use the measurements from this one to build a replica of the silver/blue one one day
    colorama collection.jpg
    Wonderful restoration Ken, and happy to know that you kept and still play the "pallet" uke, my favorite build video of all time!
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

Nice to see what you did with it, truly a work of art.

Mr Timms, I love everything you did here with this restoration.

I am grateful that you share your projects here for us to see, and admire.

Thank you. You are a true artist with your work.
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

The most challenging part was the gold racing stripes around the edge, it took me a couple of attempts before I got that bit right.
    First I spayed the edge gold..Then I got some pin stripe masking tape off eBay 6mm wide and 2mm wide, then a made a simple gauge out of a bit of aluminium angle and carefully using the gauge applied the 6mm tape all around the edge then the 2mm tape alongside it and then another run of 6mm tape alongside the 2mm. when I was happy with the positioning I then finally removed the 2mm tape exposing the gold centre line..Then I spray'd the whole guitar with the red paints first the Ford Colorada red followed by the Bugandy red as a sort of sun burst...and then I carefully removed the 6mm tapes to expose the gold stripes..Then it was ready for umpteen coats of clear laquer.

This is the simple gauge.
    PICT0032 (2).jpg
    And here is the gold edge before the pinstripe tape is applied.
    PICT0053.jpg
    Pin stripe in place.
    PICT0072.jpg
    This pic is when I removed the tape.
    PICT0012 (2).jpg
    And here it is ready to start spraying clear laquer.
    PICT0017 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-13-2018 at 07:02 AM.

Thread Information