Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1960 Hofner brought back from the dead

And finally .. Making the Bridge ... having looked a load of pictures and getting hold of the dimensions. I purchased some 1/4" x 5/8" brass bar and some 12mm dia knurled thumb wheels off eBay, After a lot of thought on how to do this?? I made this simple jig out of scrap aluminium left over from another project...the jig is meant to swing in an arc at a radius of 9.5 inch (same radius as the fretboard) and I used this clamped on my spindle sander to put a radius on the brass blank...I made one or two out of wood first to get the set up right...This is the brass one.
    PICT0028.jpg
    And it ended up this shape (I made two in case the job went wrong later)
    PICT0054 (2).jpg
    Then using the same jig on the disc sander with table set at an angle of 22 degrees.
    with a slight mod on the jig to offset the brass by 3mm at one end.
    Did one side then flipped it over and same again.
    PICT0062.jpg
    And it came out like this..Success
    PICT0068.jpg
    All I had to do next was cut the slots for the knurled thumb wheels
    I did this on the bandsaw with the aid of a straight edge and a rule for an end stop.
    PICT0074.jpg
    At this point the job went wrong I should have drilled the holes for the screw shafts before I cut the slots
    Cos when i used the centre punch to mark out the holes I damaged one of the brass lugs and had to scrap it
    Luckily I had made a spare.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-14-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Excellent work. This has taken me back. Late 70's I had a Hofner electric bass (not the violin) - lot of similarities with the control plate on yours. Always had a bit of a soft spot for Hofners ever since. Might buy one of their old archtops, there's a lot of mileage in nostalgia! Whether I actually get around to playing it is another matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N. View Post
    Excellent work. This has taken me back. Late 70's I had a Hofner electric bass (not the violin) - lot of similarities with the control plate on yours. Always had a bit of a soft spot for Hofners ever since. Might buy one of their old archtops, there's a lot of mileage in nostalgia! Whether I actually get around to playing it is another matter!
    Hi Michael...This is where I got some info on the rebuild Lots of nice archtops as well https://www.facebook.com/groups/478476499024013/
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-17-2018 at 03:52 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000

Thread Information