Mele Concert Ukulele issues.

Keefer

Reaction score
Just bought a Mele Concert in the UK from Ebay. Condition was listed as 'Excellent' .....I paid £212.00. Under normal circumstances , I would have sent it back, but as it was sold by a charity.. I will bear the cost

As well as all the dents and deep scratches, there is a significant intonation problem up the scale, a tuner problem and I feel it needs a good look over and set up by an expert . I was hoping this was going to be my go to Uke

Could anyone recommend someone who could set this up and bring it up to playing standard ?

Many thanks

Keef

Keef, I'm afraid I can't help with a recommendation for someone in your area, but I will say that getting the work done will be worth it. I followed that auction out of interest as I have the same model.

There are a few things about it that still bug me after several years (the remarkably cheap-looking headstock sticker; geared tuners; slightly rustic level of fit and finish) but the sound and playability are wonderful. My next project is to put some decent pegs on it.

Good luck; there's a fine instrument under there.

Thanks BigJackBrass. It is a quality instrument, but hasn't been cared for in its past life. Agreed that the sticker is lame. If I can sort out the intonation up the scale and get the action set , It will be super.. Thanks for your reply

Keef

Hmmm, this is the second very recent issue with Mele and intonation problems. Is this a nut filing issue from the factory I wonder?

Most ukulele groups have at least one member who can do basic setups (for beer). Worth at least finding that person, to see if they can work out the problem and how to fix it. A luthier should do a better job, if you can find one, but if the intonation problem is simply that the nut slots don't slope adequately towards the peghead then any competent fettler should be able to sort that out.

Thank you to all who replied, much appreciated .
The Model is not a new one . It has a different shaped joint from the neck to the body to the models I've seen on the Mele website.( its concave and kind of pointy at the bottom end if that makes sense?)
I need to find a luthier who knows their Ukuleles in the Scotland/ North England area... If anyone has a recommendation, or suggestion, I'd be very grateful .
The Uke has a very nice American folk tone to it.

If the intonation becomes progressively worse the higher it is played then it's almost certainly a saddle compensation issue. That could mean anything from reshaping the existing one, a new saddle or (more involved) moving the saddle slot.
You don't necessarily need someone who is familiar with ukuleles, a decent repair person who is familiar with nylon strung guitars should not have a problem solving the issue - after all both instruments are fretted, nylon and have a saddle that requires compensation.

I purchased an eBay Mele tenor and it came with significant issues, though intonation was not one of them. I bargained with the seller about not revealing a badly repaired side crack. The finish was much worse than the photos showed. Mine was with the Braddah internal label (dating it to the earlier 90s) and it has what sounds like a similar neck joint. I took the plunge and purchased new tuners - Grovers - and had the instrument refinished professionally. I am delighted with the result. As to not returning or working with the seller - it is an act of charity not to bug a charity, but there again they did not pay anything for the instrument. If the condition did not fit the description I would still enter into conversation. eBay can be a problem marketplace, but some honesty needs to be enforced.

I have another Mele - a new one and it is excellent.

If the intonation becomes progressively worse the higher it is played then it's almost certainly a saddle compensation issue. That could mean anything from reshaping the existing one, a new saddle or (more involved) moving the saddle slot.
You don't necessarily need someone who is familiar with ukuleles, a decent repair person who is familiar with nylon strung guitars should not have a problem solving the issue - after all both instruments are fretted, nylon and have a saddle that requires compensation.

Thank you for your reply. Most helpful.

I purchased an eBay Mele tenor and it came with significant issues, though intonation was not one of them. I bargained with the seller about not revealing a badly repaired side crack. The finish was much worse than the photos showed. Mine was with the Braddah internal label (dating it to the earlier 90s) and it has what sounds like a similar neck joint. I took the plunge and purchased new tuners - Grovers - and had the instrument refinished professionally. I am delighted with the result. As to not returning or working with the seller - it is an act of charity not to bug a charity, but there again they did not pay anything for the instrument. If the condition did not fit the description I would still enter into conversation. eBay can be a problem marketplace, but some honesty needs to be enforced.

I have another Mele - a new one and it is excellent.

Thanks for your reply... I think my Uke dates to 2003? It needs to go in for a good overhaul, the intonation up the scale is bad but the overall tone is excellent. Michael N has given some good advice too

I thought long and hard about messaging the seller (a Hospice Charity) I may send them a friendly piece of advice about future descriptions .
Ebay can be great but I was certainly a little less than pleased with some aspects of this purchase.

Top Bottom