Bridge pins or Not?

kente777

Reaction score
I'm going to be custom ordering both a Blackbird Clara and Farralon and they do offer a "string-through bridge" with or without bridge pins.

Which way do you think I should go?

Thanks!

I really like the look of a string-through without bridge pins It's such a clean look. It is a bit more hassle threading strings through the sound hole. If you go with pins, I like the ones with little wood inserts (rather than shell that you see everywhere). If you can get the insert to match the material of the Blackbird that would be very cool.

Despite years of playing steel string guitar, where bridge pins are more common than not, I've always steered clear of bridge pins on ukes. I don't love the look, and it's just more fiddly bits to lose. A also think the uke string-through bridge is one of the most elegant and easy to manage arrangements out there. Is the Blackbird pin setup a true pin bridge, or is it a string-through bridge with pins to decorate?

That's a good question. I assumed it would be functional. Never thought it could be aesthetic only.

I love the look and clean lines of the string through bridge. About the only downside is that it makes swapping out (reusing) strings almost impossible. If being able to do that is important, then go with the bridge pins, if not, stick with string through. I'm NEVER doing another tie bridge if I can help it.

Impossible how?

Impossible how?

Well after you pull out the string you've got the knot at one end, and the wrap at the other. To restring it you have to be able to untie the knot, and get that end through the hole in the string through bridge, which is challenging, or cut the knot off and tie a new one. The latter is what I've done a couple of times, but you need to have plenty of extra string on the tuner post for that to be possible. So it's not impossible, just difficult. But with bridge pins this would be a snap.

Top Bottom