Question about Multiuke and Pono TE

jelow1966

Reaction score
I've got a couple of questions about these two ukes. I'm wondering if there is any difference in volume between them unplugged. I think I read here that the Pono is quiet but certainly not silent. Is that true of the Multiuke as well? I practice a lot with iReal Pro and because I don't want to annoy myself or my partner I tend to use my Vorson electric uke unplugged for most of my practice to keep things pretty quiet. Trouble is that when it comes time for my lesson I have to readjust to my Ovation so much of what I practiced is lost at first. I would like to have a uke I can practice on the same way but then also take to my lesson. I have tried to practice with the Ovation played really softly but I don't like it. Obviously either one will be louder than my Vorson but if they are at least quiet enough that I don't have to blast iReal that will work.

One other question. Does anyone here have experience with both? I was watching a vid on HMS comparing the Acacia TE with other models and the sense I got was that the Mulituke has a more balanced sound when playing single strings in comparison to the TE but is a little muddier strummed. I mostly play single strings so am drawn to the sound of the Multiuke since I find the Ovation tends to be a bit unbalanced as well. Can anyone confirm this? Or am I just hearing things, or just difference because of the strings?

Thanks for any help.

John

I bought a used Multiuke a few months ago here anticipating that it might not be all that loud unplugged, but I was more than surprised at how loud it really is, so it might not meet your requirements. I played it a couple of weeks ago with about 8 acoustic guitar players outside at a park and it held its own pretty well.

I would say my ear isn't as sensitive as yours because I don't notice a big difference between strumming and picking

Godin Multiuke sumbust mine 843.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini bass electric guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
The Multiuke is chambered and the Pono is solid if I recall correctly. So logic would dictate that the Pono is more quiet. I have a Multiuke that I use for night time practice when everyone is asleep. I’m in another room so it’s fine but I wouldn’t say it’s silent. I can get some decent volume from it unplugged.

The Multiuke is chambered and the Pono is solid if I recall correctly.

No, the Pono is chambered too, but it has a thinner body (and is lighter).

Here's a comparison of both, plus the Ko’olau CE-2 from a number of years ago, when the Pono was just coming out.

I'm interested in what folks have to say, because I've been going back and forth between the two myself. But I'm more of a strummer, and leaning towards the Pono. I mostly need something that can hold its own in a loud rock band setting.

- FiL

All I can say is that I love my Pono TE tenor and baritone. They are chambered and definitely loud enough to practice acoustically. Personally I think the wood they’re made of is not important. Get what’s cheaper. The amp and effects make the difference. Yes, the CE-2 is slightly better but not worth the price difference.

Take note all that jelow1966 wants something as quiet as possible acoustically.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like of the two the Pono would be closer to what I need volume wise. It's a little cheaper too if I go with the Acacia. I thought about this option

https://www.amazon.com/EleUke-R22TM...rd_wg=TpV7K&psc=1&refRID=8033FYR3TW22X0ZWPWKD

Would solve the problem completely since I could use bluetooth to run iReal thru the uke but I don't know about the quality and I'd still be switching instruments.

John

All I can say is that I love my Pono TE tenor and baritone. They are chambered and definitely loud enough to practice acoustically. Personally I think the wood they’re made of is not important. Get what’s cheaper. The amp and effects make the difference. Yes, the CE-2 is slightly better but not worth the price difference.

How comfortable is the tenor to play? I can't say that I find my Vorson all that comfortable but perhaps I'm just used to the Ovataion which is oversized.

John

The tenor is light and very comtable to play, kin of like comparing a strat to a Gibson. I prefer it’s weight to the multi. I can’t compare the sounds.

I was surprised about how loud the Pono TE is despite the lack of a soundhole, and the Godin is probably just as loud. They're both of great quality, but if you want to play as quietly as possible, you'd probably be better of with something like the Eleuke you linked to, or a Risa stick that has no body volume at all.

Another option is a Teton. I have a tenor and a concert. You can listen with headphones. There’s a battery powered amp built in. I actually like the necks very much. I travel with my concert when bike camping because it is small and solid body and can’t be broken. Of course I keep it well away from water.

Actually, I would sell my tenor as I have my better Pono, but really the Teton is nice and I much prefer it to the Risa I once had. Just didn’t like having no head on the Risa, but I do know a great player, Steven Strauss, who loves his Risa.

Would sell the Teton for $100 plus shipping but it’s in my place in CA and I won’t be there until the first week of April.

Bought the Tetons from Mim.

Top Bottom