Martin Premium Ukulele strings

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
Martin came out with new strings , has anyone tried them ?:anyone:

I asked about these in an earlier thread a couple of weeks ago...Mim chimed in that she had received a demo set at NAMM from Martin and would post a review after she tried them out. I have not seen that review yet, she is probably busy.

They are available now at Strings and Beyond for $8.99, I haven't ordered them yet though.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/martin-polygut-ukulele-m625-tenor.html

Interesting, the back label (in the strings and beyond picture) says they were developed with Aquila. I wonder if they're rebranded nylgut? I think daddario's nyltech strings are like that as well.

Interesting, the back label (in the strings and beyond picture) says they were developed with Aquila. I wonder if they're rebranded nylgut? I think daddario's nyltech strings are like that as well.

I asked that as well, Mimmo responded that contractually he could not say anything about what they are. So either that, or maybe something with the new "sugar" string material. They mention "poly" and "plastic" and that is how Aquila describes the "sugar" string.

I asked about these in an earlier thread a couple of weeks ago...Mim chimed in that she had received a demo set at NAMM from Martin and would post a review after she tried them out. I have not seen that review yet, she is probably busy.

They are available now at Strings and Beyond for $8.99, I haven't ordered them yet though.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/martin-polygut-ukulele-m625-tenor.html

Thx for the link.

Gauges seem to be a bit fat for any fluoro composition.

My guess is some kind of funky composite polymer blend like Aquila is known for, and licensed and sold by Martin under their own name.

A sound sample would be a true gift if anyone has tried these yet.

Looks like no one is willing to pull the trigger on these without a review.

Martin: Send Baz a set...

I bought a set. They say they're nylon on the package. I don't have anything that needs strings right now, though.

Looks like no one is willing to pull the trigger on these without a review.

Martin: Send Baz a set...

Ha ha - happy to. Though you know my rules on strings - not a review, just a demo. Some will like them, some won’t and that’s cool.

I’m sticking to Martin Fluoros though

Ha ha - happy to. Though you know my rules on strings - not a review, just a demo. Some will like them, some won’t and that’s cool.

I’m sticking to Martin Fluoros though

I bought a set. They say they're nylon on the package. I don't have anything that needs strings right now, though.

I had some Oasis Brights setting around that I just restrung my new (to me) Style 3 with. If not for that, I might have given the Martin Premiums a go.

Maybe in the next string cycle...

There seems to be a major shortage of reviews for these new Martin strings. They're popping up now at the online dealer's sites but I can't find anyone who's actually played them and wrote about it. Help me out...are they worth (pun intended) trying or save my $$? I'd probably use them on one of my tenors and mostly for fingerpicking/chord melody playing.

There seems to be a major shortage of reviews for these new Martin strings. They're popping up now at the online dealer's sites but I can't find anyone who's actually played them and wrote about it. Help me out...are they worth (pun intended) trying or save my $$? I'd probably use them on one of my tenors and mostly for fingerpicking/chord melody playing.

Strings are relatively inexpensive, so why not buy a set and try them out for yourself. Strings are also very subjective, it's better if you can try them on your own uke to see if you like them.

Is the price premium too?

LOL, good one...

I've never considered Martin Ukes strings any good, when you consider all the competition, Worth, Aquila, D'Addario...

LOL, good one...

I've never considered Martin Ukes strings any good, when you consider all the competition, Worth, Aquila, D'Addario...

Just goes to show how subjective this is. I consider Martins the old reliables. Very consistent, not too expensive. Fine, basic fluorocarbons, if that's the type of string you prefer.

LOL, good one...

I consider Martins to be my favorite strings, although I am running Aquila Sugar strings on my Outdoor Ukulele tenor right now. If you like fluorocarbon strings, Martin is a great place to start—inexpensive and available everywhere. Once you know you like fluorocarbon, you can investigate other fluorocarbon solutions. I also like the fluorocarbons that came with my KoAloha Opio Tenor, and I do have a set of Living Waters on my only Baritone ukulele. I’m not a string snob and I don’t swap strings searching for the “ideal” set for each instrument.

Yes true their fluorocarbon strings are inexpensive, but they don't sound as nice as Worth's or D'Addario's, at least to my ears they don't, also not as lively, responsive, a bit flat...

I just received a set of Martin M625 (Tenor) strings and also a set of Aquila Sugar (Low G) strings. I'm not thrilled with the Oasis low G set I have on my Kala tenor right now, so I'll be trying out the Sugars on that tonight. The Martins will have to wait until the Worth Browns on my Pono start to fade...and that might take a while!

I'm a fan of the Martin flouros on my laminate cordoba. I have Worth Browns on my Pono taropatch right now and after they finally settled in, I like them pretty well but when I restring I'm putting Martins on. I just ordered a set of the Martin premiums as a backup to the Martin TK1 that is coming in this week. I suspect it will come strung with the Martin flouros.

Here are a couple of online reviews, sounds like tweaked Nylguts:

http://www.ukulelemag.com/gear-reviews/review-martin-ukulele-premium-strings

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/new-gear/martin-ukulele-strings-and-2-concert-ukulele/

I believe these are quite close to the Aquila Carbonblacks with some modifications that have addressed the past issues of breakage. I had a set of Carbonblacks that suffered from said breakage, but I replaced them with another set that was newer and am still playing them on a all solid acacia concert. I will definitely be trying these Martins soon.

I put a set on my 'value-priced' Makala concert, and noticed much more clarity than the Super Nylguts that came with it. I like them. I'm still mainly a fluorocarbon fan, but these suited the Makala well.

Top Bottom