NUD-Oceana Cutaway Slothead Concert

Lapyang

Reaction score
I just received my Custom Built Oceana Concert a few days ago and I can't be any happier. I started talking to Zac Steimle of Oceana Ukuleles at the end of August 2017. He is based out of Port Orchard, WA. He is a mostly hand tool luthier so it takes a bit more time for him to build an instrument but the result is exquisite.

Concert
Top: Oregon Myrtle
Back and Sides: Bastone Walnut
Neck: Spanish Cedar
Binding: Curly Koa
Fret Scale: 15"
Fretboard: Pistachio
Scalloped and Radiuses Fretboard
Markers: Paua Abalone
Cutaway
Rosette: Paua Abalone and Koa
Slot Head: Pistachio
Tuners: Gotoh Stealth
UV Cured Gloss
Weighs: 20 oz

After 5 months of anticipation and selling off a few ukes for funding, it arrived last week. It is everything I have dreamed of. It is surprisingly loud for a concert with excellent sustain. The tone is more consistent with the good old style soprano with a authoritative bark. To me this is the golden triangle of my ideal uke. Comfortable concert scale with a soprano sound quality and BOOMING!!! The best of all worlds.

One unique hallmark about Zac's work is his scalloped fretboard. It is SMOOTH. You can slide up and down the fretboard all day long and not suffer from sore fingers. It is like riding waves in the ocean.

The heel of the neck is asymmetrical so it cups your hand better. The cutaway is just the right size so you can rest your fingers there when strumming gently with your thumb.

IMG_9932.jpgIMG_9935.jpgIMG_9937.jpgIMG_9936.jpgIMG_9934.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures.

This shows the scalloped fretboard better. The beautiful detail binding and the sound hole and side port.

IMG_9998.jpgIMG_9996.jpgIMG_0002.jpgIMG_9933.jpg

Last edited:
Wow his work is exquisite and the woods are just fabulous. Congratulations on an amazing looking instrument, it really is impressive.

Congrats Lapyang. That is a gorgeous instrument. Would love to hear a sound sample.

I've got a 2012 Oceana redwood/mahogany baritone built by Zac that is an outstanding player. Mine is a more basic design than yours (flat fretboard), but feels, plays and sounds fantastic.

Holy moly! The work on that uke is incredible. You must have sold everything, including your soul, to get that!:drool:
Many congrats!

I am in tears upon seeing this.

There are no words.

Congrats! and thanks for sharing.

Wowza! Congratulations!!

lapyang, that is a gorgeous ukulele! I have been admiring Oceana for a while now. Love the ammonite design on the headstock, the cutaway, the woods - everything. Just perfect. I've also been intrigued by that scalloped fretboard. Congratulations on a great choice!

One unique hallmark about Zac's work is his scalloped fretboard. It is SMOOTH. You can slide up and down the fretboard all day long and not suffer from sore fingers. It is like riding waves in the ocean.

The entire instrument looks like ocean waves. Wait, it's an Oceana. Makes sense! Congrats!

I played a few Oceana ukuleles at the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show. Love those scalloped fretboards,
really easy on your fretting hand.
What a beauty you have there, congratulations!

I have an Oceana baritone from a few years ago. Not nearly as fancy as yours but superb player. Enjoy yours!

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am enjoying this special quite a bit. It comes with Aquila Bionylon strings which I am not crazy about. I will be changing the strings to FC. May even post comparison videos between the strings.

Top Bottom