Sound sample: Low-low GCEA, Rogue baritone

Jim Hanks

Reaction score

Sounds nice Jim.

I like the low sound.

It's good to experiment. :)

I tried some cheap classical guitar strings on my Kala laminate tenor, was intending to try them on baritone, but quite liked the sound of them on it, so they are still on it, now tuned DGBE. ;)

Sounds nice Jim. I like the low sound.
I kinda do too, but would be better on an instrument with better intonation. Chords seem pretty muddy to me.

It's good to experiment. :)
Right. :) I kinda doubt I'll use this for anything "real".

ah! what the hell... well done man. I hope that this do not became oficially another kind of ukulele...there are too much models
I'm not the first to try this. Doesn't seem to a groundswell coming. :p

Never.........how could you possibly say that!
IKR? :agree:

It sounds like you are on your way to a new adventure.

I like reading about how other players are experimenting with things, and possibly pushing the envelope.

More power to you, and I hope you can find/figure out the right combo here.

Whatever the end result, please keep telling the story as you progress, as this is all fascinating to me, both the process of discovery by mavericks who buck the trend (like you, here), as well as opening up the possibility for other people to follow, and learn from your path.

Kudos! :)

From your video at 4:45,
hmmm,, hey, why not use the bottom four strings for G2 C3 E3 A3, a full octave lower than a low G tenor tuning.

Yep, that’s an octave ‘ukulele. Guadalupe makes a set of strings for this purpose, and you can purchase them from Mainland. These are all wound strings. Several threads have explored various other string sets which can also accomplish this.

Thanks for the links. I knew I wasn't the first and had probably heard of the Guadalupe strings. I'm normally an "all unwound" guy, so "all wound" has never been that appealing to me.

Top Bottom