Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hawaiian" D7 - What is it Actually?

Default "Hawaiian" D7 - What is it Actually?

I've never really given this much thought until today. I just played it this way when it sounded right in a song that called for D7. Anybody know what the so called Hawaiian D7 (2020) is actually called? I tried to find the chord name but no luck anywhere.

I believe that would be Am6 - the notes being A C Gb A
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I play a lot of Hawaiian music. There are a few times that I freely use one or the other D7 depending on mood and the song.
    When I play "Opihi Man" for example, that song goes mainly between G and D7, but I play G as G6 0202 and D7 as Am6 2020 and go back and forth between those two.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

The "Hawaiian D7" chord is an incomplete chord that can be heard as several functions depending on musical context. As far as I know, "Hawaiian D7" is the most accurate name it has.

From a theoretical perspective, treating these three notes as a single chord without regard to context, I am inclined to think of them as a flavor of Adim, Cdim, or F#dim.

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    I believe that would be Am6 - the notes being A C Gb A
    And no D to be seen.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

I am not so fond of having the 7th as the highest note like in 2223, but a lots can be helped by the way it is strummed. So I use regular D7 most times.

Sometimes if I would consider from a songbook, F#dim 2020, could maybe give a more desirable 7th effect, except I play usually by myself and need that D too

Many people call it a "rootless" D7. Depending on the context, the root of a chord is often unnecessary. Another instrument, including ones own voice, may be supplying the root, or the chord progression may imply the root. Jazzy chords often exclude the root. From a practical standpoint, this is because extended chords have more than 4 notes. But a musician may also choose a rootless voicing for a preferred sound or for ease of play.

I just learned the "real" D7 from the beginning and never found it that hard (2223), don't really understand people teaching the (2020) form, guess it might be easier for a pure beginner?
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    I just learned the "real" D7 from the beginning and never found it that hard (2223), don't really understand people teaching the (2020) form, guess it might be easier for a pure beginner?
    To be versatile. To have options. You don't have to choose just one, you can learn both. I use them both.
    Last edited by Rllink; 02-14-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

I use 2020. It is basically just a guitar A7 without the root. A really good blues chord shape.

John

Thread Information