Capo advice

Don't know which G7 you ordered but I like the Performance one, not the screw on one. Easy on off, one handed operation. I use the uke/banjo model.

I ordered this one....

Attachments

• 31WmlEwM-aL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jpg
    31WmlEwM-aL._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6
Missed this thread earlier. I've tried several and my preferred is the planet waves NS mini capo. I have tried the G7th and while I think you will be fine with it and it is lighter than the planet waves, I find the planet waves works better and is actually less obtrusive. The Shubb is OKish but I find it still gets in the way.

Raftergirl I will be very interested in your opinion and comparison of the G7 capo to the Kyser. I have a few capos and I actually like the Kyser best. The reason being is the arm at the back contacting the neck is slimmer and flatter then anything else out there. This coupled with a slim front top section makes chords like E7 still easy to play, see pictures.

People that dismiss the Kyser usually do so based on looks without actually trying it. Plus it clips on to the headstock so you can be cool looking like all the old folk musicians :music:

I am ready to buy the G7 if you say it is better and easier to use then the Kyser.

View attachment 106728View attachment 106729View attachment 106730View attachment 106731

Please, even if you do opt for the Keyser, don't clip it on the headstock when you're not using it. Capos look ugly enough on the fingerboard, but at least they're useful there. It does not look cool. When I'm not using it, I put my capos on my mc stand or in my pocket, or if it's a Paige, behind the nut, but not on the headstock.
The same goes for Snarks or other clip on tuners. Tune up, then get that thing off the headstock. Please clip your string ends and don't weave a pick in your strings or stick a cigarette under the strings on the headstock. It's bad enough with a plain headstock, but I've seen this done with a pearl inlaid headstock as well.

Junky headstock.jpg

Please, even if you do opt for the Keyser, don't clip it on the headstock when you're not using it. Capos look ugly enough on the fingerboard, but at least they're useful there. It does not look cool. When I'm not using it, I put my capos on my mc stand or in my pocket, or if it's a Paige, behind the nut, but not on the headstock.
The same goes for Snarks or other clip on tuners. Tune up, then get that thing off the headstock. Please clip your string ends and don't weave a pick in your strings or stick a cigarette under the strings on the headstock. It's bad enough with a plain headstock, but I've seen this done with a pearl inlaid headstock as well.

View attachment 106772
No worries. I don't ever leave my tuner or a capo on the head stock.

I got the G7th capo today. Very light and much lower profile than the Kyser. Not super quick and easy to put on and take off. Also a little tricky to get the tension right. I will be using it mostly on my Loprinzi with a really slim neck which makes it even harder to adjust the tension. I will use it for awhile to see how it goes, but it’s not an instant hit.

I'm a little late to the conversation here but you mentioned Thalia capos. I'm a fan of them and recently bought some b-stock on sale. I use capos quite a bit on guitar and I bought them primarily for that but i also gave them a go on my ukes.

First, they are large and look enormous on the neck, BUT The thicker pads work perfectly for ukulele strings. Using the right insert allows you to place the capo between the frets instead of close to it. This actually works better for me than the typical Schubb uke capo. I can move up and down the neck and the intonation is affected much less than any other capo I have ever used.

You would think that the Schubb being so small on top would be more comfortable but I find it rarely fits my uke necks without using so much tension that it screws up the intonation. The single point of contact on the back and the lever mechanism give it has a tendancy to slip off at an angle, or worse, pop loose as I'm playing. I also have radius fretboard ukes and most uke sized capos assume a flat fretboard and simply don't work. I can't use my Schubb on my Mya Moe baritone at all.

The thalia is actually a very versatile capo and works great if you can get past the size and the higher price. Because it can be placed further behind the fret it actually is less in the way for me than other, smaller capos.

That's interesting, Andrew! I was trying to play something yesterday using a uke capo and couldn't because having the capo so close to the fret meant that I couldn't make the chord properly as the capo got in the way. Ended up changing the key. The Thalia capos sound like a good alternative, but I know they are pricey.

I got the G7th capo today. Very light and much lower profile than the Kyser. Not super quick and easy to put on and take off. Also a little tricky to get the tension right. I will be using it mostly on my Loprinzi with a really slim neck which makes it even harder to adjust the tension. I will use it for awhile to see how it goes, but it’s not an instant hit.

After Bazmaz's review I was investigating the G7 ultralight and I had the gut feeling it might be finicky and not so quick to put on take off. Hopefully with a little practice it works better for you. One truism in life is sometimes you just have to pay your money and take your chances to find out if something will actually work for you. Oh well........cheaper experiment than a new uke. Been there done that:p

I give it some more time before trying another brand. I prefer not to use a capo at all and will transpose when needed. But some of the songs we do for my church band are much easier with a capo than transposing. It's a good tool to have when needed and I want to find one that's most comfortable.

Gee people have a lot of patience.

For me, any capo that is not a simple clip-n-play type is a pain.

Why wrap, or screw, etc when you can simply clip onto the instrument and play?

My favourite capo for ukulele is this simple clip spring type here:
https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/de/ukulelen-kapodaster-metall?x9d982=62a2fec56ad9e3324743dea7e7b60630

If you're stuck with guitar capo's, best to use one designed for Classical guitar.
It might be a bit big, but it will handle the ukulele's flat fretboard (unless you have a fancy uke with a radius)

Top Bottom