Electric solid body string help

BryTheLion

Reaction score
Hiya! I'm new to electric ukes, and just bought a vorson electric solid body tenor from zzounds. When I was buying it they suggested some D'Addario replacement strings, and I thought why not. Now I may be super tired and just don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not sure which string goes where. Sorry if this is a dumb question, haha. I got 1
PL016, 2 PL011, and 1 PL009. Thanks for any help, and yell at me if you must.

The intent of giving you one plain 16, two plain 11's and a plain 9 is for the reentrant G string to be an 11, the C is the 16, the E is the 2nd 11 and the A is the 9.

That's the intent. Whether that's what makes a good sound is a completely different question. Possibly not. If it were me I would be using heavier gauge strings than that.

An even EASIER solution to stringing the Vorson (or any similar-size steel string electric uke) is using the DGBE (4th-1st) strings out of an electric guitar set, and stringing it UP to GCEA on the electric ukulele.
I generally pick a lighter set (usually a 009 or 010 set) out of preference.

Easy peasy - don't even have to remember individual string tensions or go shopping for individual strings. Just buy the entire guitar string set, and don't use the bass E-A strings.

Quite important to do a setup on the instrument though.

An even EASIER solution to stringing the Vorson (or any similar-size steel string electric uke) is using the DGBE (4th-1st) strings out of an electric guitar set, and stringing it UP to GCEA on the electric ukulele.
I generally pick a lighter set (usually a 009 or 010 set) out of preference.

So basically just wind the D string tighter until it is in tune to high G?

I thought gCEA meant low g.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

That (gCEA) is re entrant. ;) I think 'we' use a lower case g because it is a different tuning to 'normal', as in guitar, etc, that use capitals for linear tunings. :)

Yes that is I guess how it is.

But since we have our logical mind, it can be also thought like G is so close to A in pitch, why it should we write any differently. And yes the low G key is an octave lower than in regular uke tuning, so lets use low case for it lol. So there the confusion arises. Of course we have maybe tuners, like my DaTuner in android device, that give the nearest pitch in scientific way like: G4 (G3 for low G), C4, E4, A4.

Reenterant, reentrant, re-entrant is also a nice word because it makes our ukes somewhat feel like they are having a more special status that the humble guitar :p

So basically just wind the D string tighter until it is in tune to high G?

Sorry, correction on my original post.

The D string would be the thickest out of the 4, and would wind up to LOW G, not high.

Top Bottom