Resonator Conversion

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I want to convert an Enya tenor into resonator uke, and I have a basic question.

I'm going to cut a hole in the top and insert a cone and biscuit. Then I'll put a chrome cover on top of that. I get the impression that the cone should sit below the level of the ukulele surface. The hole I cut should be larger than the cone, and I would make a circular support ring which would be glued onto the back of the top. The cone would sit below the surface of the uke, with the height of the cone adjusted to get the action right. Then the chrome cover would go over that.

Have a look at this link to a Mya Moe reso under construction.
https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=2436.
If you look at day 6 the accompanying photo shows the well for the cone. That should give you some ideas.
You will need to measure carefully, to get the biscuit bridge in the correct place, get that wrong and the only thing you can do to correct is to refret the neck to correct the errors.

PS. I am not a luthier, builder or maker, just my 2p, so all of the above may be completely wrong!

The uke in the link above is mine, and it should arrive tomorrow! Hurrah!!!

h

Last edited:
Have a look at this link to a Mya Moe reso under construction.
https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=2436.
If you look at day 6 the accompanying photo shows the well for the cone. That should give you some ideas.
You will need to measure carefully, to get the biscuit bridge in the correct place, get that wrong and the only thing you can do to correct is to refret the neck to correct the errors.

PS. I am not a luthier, builder or maker, just my 2p, so all of the above may be completely wrong!

The uke in the link above is mine, and it should arrive tomorrow! Hurrah!!!

h

Thanks! I didn't think Mya Moe was still making ukuleles. A friend has one of their resonators, but she didn't want me to take it apart to look inside. : )

You may run into the same hurdle I just ran into. My project is stalled because of the saddle for the biscuit. I plan to use one of Charles Atchison 5.5 inch cone. I bought 2 of his biscuits, but I cannot find a maple saddle to fit the 1/4 inch slot. I wish I had not started this project. Every Penny I have spent so far has been wasted. We are dealing with individuals who make one or two part that is not compatible with any other parts, including their own. My advice is forget the project and buy a resonator tenor ukulele.

I think if you buy a National cone I believe it comes with bridge and biscuit.
Dare I suggest glueing 2 I/8th bridges together?
Stew Mac have these:
http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Nuts_and_Saddles/Replogle_Resonator_Saddles.html
Don't know if glueing 2 together will work, but it may be worth a try if there are no other options and this is the only way to finish the job!
Looking at the Charles Atchison site, he offers biscuits with bone saddles, are these the wrong size?
h

You may run into the same hurdle I just ran into. My project is stalled because of the saddle for the biscuit. I plan to use one of Charles Atchison 5.5 inch cone. I bought 2 of his biscuits, but I cannot find a maple saddle to fit the 1/4 inch slot. I wish I had not started this project. Every Penny I have spent so far has been wasted. We are dealing with individuals who make one or two part that is not compatible with any other parts, including their own. My advice is forget the project and buy a resonator tenor ukulele.

I bought a cone, biscuit, and saddle from Bytown Ukuleles. They all fit together.

https://www.bytowninstruments.com/search?q=resonator&submit=

What I discovered is that it is best to buy the cone, and all the parts together so they all fit. I bought a cone that usually uses a threaded bolt for the saddle. I just did not do enough research and ask enough questions.

I just ordered new bone blanks, half are 6mm thick. I’ll just sand it down until it fits in the biscuit slot. I’ve made saddles and nuts so that isn’t the issue. One tool I think is great to buy/own is the StewMac Nut and Saddle vise. It makes cutting new saddles and nuts almost painless.

I’m hoping all these dead ends and u-turns become knowledge I’ll use for the next mad project.

But I’m my own worst enemy - I’m thinking of putting a 12 inch radius on the fingerboard and of course doing a refret (autocorrect keeps subbing “regret” for “refret”).

Ed

Top Bottom