Hi! New here. (finally got my registration to work!)

lifereinspired

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been trying to join the forum for almost a week now. :) For some reason, it kept saying that my registration had gone through but I could never log in. Finally today, it dispatched the email and here I am. :)

I took some piano lessons for a couple of years as a kid but always wanted to learn a stringed instrument. I found out a few years ago, that I have a rare variant of a rare genetic disorder that has kind of stolen my life now. I've had 52 surgical procedures in the last 8 years with my next one scheduled for next month. I picked up my spouse's guitar a little over a week ago to try to help sort out getting it working with his iPad and was so frustrated with having to strum it with all the strings open for so long, that I tried to learn a chord just to briefly improve the sound for myself. What I found was that due to my genetic condition (which affects the connective tissue in the body causing problems with most of my anatomical systems and multiple frequent dislocations) as well as small hands, I simply could not play the guitar. This realization was almost crushing for a brief time. But not to be daunted, I began thinking about other options and the ukulele was the first to come to mind. I began almost immediately trying to teach myself what I could on my Artiphon and I'm trying out different uke's at different stores to decide on which one will work best for me. I'll start another thread talking about that. ;) Anyway, uke seems to agree with me - almost as if it has chosen me. I pretty much don't want to do anything else right now but learn and play more. At least it's a creative outlet that I can actually do and helps with the doldrums that come with having an incurable chronic illness/disability. And, it helps with the winter blues. :)

It's funny, after I was showing interest in the uke, my spouse mentioned that he had the thought a few weeks ago that it would be my instrument. In fact, he was thinking about trying it himself and decided not to just because he thought I'd end up playing it. Kind of cool.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. Glad to (finally!) be able to join the community.

Glad you were able to get logged in - welcome to the forums!!

Good to meet you!

Welcome aboard. :)

Nice that you have found 'your' instrument. ;)

The uke is the one that allowed me to finally make music, after trying so many others throughout my life.

(If it doesn't work out, because of your condition, try chromatic harmonica next - it seems to have become my alternate music maker.)

Hi there and Welcome to UU :)

Top Bottom