Question about gloss finish on new uke?

shroomshade

Reaction score
Just got my KoAloha KCM-00 from The Ukulele Site today. Love it and it is super fun to play. Played it for a few hours and noticed that the gloss finish below the saddle and bridge (when holding vertically, so the bottom of the instrument) feels different, like maybe the finish is incomplete? Like if I run my fingers across anywhere else in the body, it feels super smooth and no sound. If I run them across that part, it feels a bit rougher and you can hear it a bit, if that makes sense. Is it maybe just dirty and needs wiping?

Another related question...the neck feels a bit rougher than the body too...is that likely also just being dirty from holding it or something? That .ames more sense than the part of the body mentioned above though, as I barely even you he's that part of the body.

Finally, what is the best way to clean it? I assume a microfiber polishing cloth will work and am going to get one, but until then would like an eyeglass cloth work?

Thanks for the input!

As these are handmade from start to finish, I think it is well possible that the buffing guy missed a spot in the last touch-up.

As for the neck: since many players find a glossy neck to feel "sticky", some companies like Pono or Kanilea have started to combine a gloss body with a satin finished neck, but I don't think this is the case with KoAloha - or is it?

Gloss finishes can be cleaned with a Dunlop guitar polish spray applied with the microfiber cloth you mentioned. I'm not sure if this would really improve those rough spots, though. Maybe you should contact Andrew from The Ukulele Site to hear what he thinks. If it bothers you too much, you can make use of their return policy.

Top Bottom