Romero mahogany grand tenor vs cordoba 35ts ce

olphart

Reaction score
I'm torn between these two ukes available at the Uke Site. I can't find much info on the Romero grand tenor though there have been a number of nice things said about the Cordoba 35 ts.
I'm just wondering if the difference in price for the Romero mahogany grand tenor would be worth it.

Thoughts???

If I remember correctly, Pepe Romero was involved in the creation of the Cordoba 30 series, so either way, you'd get an instrument designed by Pepe Romero and produced in Asia. I can't comment on the Cordoba as I have never owned one, but the build quality of the Romero Creation I have is impeccable. I like Pepe's approach of doing things differently, and I think that a large body tenor would be a winning concept. There is also a more affordable version of the Grand Tenor with a solid spruce top and laminate back/sides:

https://vimeo.com/221983501

I think it depends on what style of music you play. I've owned a 35Ts (it was not the ce version) and played the Grand Tenor. If you do much strumming, I would be concerned the Grand Tenor would be a bit boomy. If you do mostly finger style, it wouldn't as much of a concern.

Also, the larger body may or may not be too your liking, so I'd strongly suggest trying one if you can, or buying from a place that has a reasonable return policy. Of course, setup will also be important so buy from somebody that does a proper set up.

I played the grand tenor in person at Elderly. My first impression was that the body was too thick for my liking. As for the sound, it's hard to give a fair assessment because Elderly do not have enclosed acoustic room.
My impression is that It lack the guitar voice I am looking for but the strings spacing is perfect and comfortable for finger style. Craftsmanship is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
I have the 35T. Warm, loud and handsome. I would consider the Romero Replica as an updated, higher end version of the 35T. Both have 1.5 inch nut width. I also have a Romero Tiny Tenor (rosewood/spruce). Very nice and unusual. The 35T and Tiny Tenor sound good in re-entrant and low (wound) G.

Do the Cordoba 30 series designed with Romero use his reverse bracing system?

Do the Cordoba 30 series designed with Romero use his reverse bracing system?

I have the same question. Does anyone have the answer?

Seems like the Cordoba "30 series" tenor ukuleles are very similar to the Romero Creations "The Replica" tenors.

Both are designed by Pepe Romero Jr. Cordoba's "30 Series" has somewhat less bling than is found on "The Replica" tenors, but appear to have a very similar size/shape. Both have Pepe Romero's Spanish Heel construction that is supposed to be both light and strong. But I'm unable to find out if the Cordoba utilizes his reverse fan bracing on their tops.

Top Bottom