Little old lady from Texas starting ukulele

Tabbycat

Reaction score
Hi, Tabbycat here. I joined a senior ukulele band last summer and started to learn (I already played violin and I knew a few guitar and mandolin chords). The group disbanded after Hurricane Harvey wreaked havoc on the homes of the leaders, but I was hooked.
My first uke was a Donner concert, but I quickly caught UAS and now I also have a Kala tenor, a Makala Dolphin, a Ubeta travel soprano, and a Mitchell soprano that I want to string like violin/mando so I can play it instead of the mandolin that I am struggling to master. I'm in a bluegrass-y group that plays gospel at senior citizens residences.
Now I'm wanting a banjolele.
I have enjoyed reading many threads here, and I'm especially interested in learning how to string a ukulele GDAE like my fiddle and mandolin. (Is there a fishing line that will work for the high E? A lot of posters mention that the high E string tends to snap.)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, Tabbycat!! I believe there is a fishing line for that pesky high e from what I've read, but I can't remember right now. I assume you are using the Aquila 30U for the other three strings?

Thank you! Yes, I have purchased a set of the Aquila fifths. I also got a set of classical guitar strings since I read that some of them can be used for ukulele. I'd like to string my tenor and one of the sopranos with low G.

Hey!
Fellow resident of the Bayou city.
Hope you survived all the 60” of rain and the dam release.
Beltway 8 saved our neighborhood by turning into a river. The water was 6” under the overpass bridge

I am a new Ukulele player having gotten one before xmas (Cordoba 24T tenor which I will prob sell)
Took a while as I kept having things done
Strings hmm geared tuners then better strings then low g
Then i got something that fit my hand skills( i fail pediatric grip strength at health fairs)
A hiscus red flea w flower cut out (used but in great shape and priced for a song)
Now I have a TT high g on order
I work long hours but find time to learn
Interested in campanela style and old style songs
Pentangle Fairport convention

I took three lessons but stopped as we are busy on weekends w travel and work conventions for needed ed credits
Have no real prior music skills other than basic beginner dulcimer 40 yrs ago when we lived in Ak
Am excited as there is always more to learn
Have downloaded a lot of tab songs and bought some books ( a uke / lute one baroque and classical) and follow some inspiring uke players!!!!
Sometimes hearing myself is painful as I am so new but I see progress and it is a lot of fun!
My skills may not get to my aspirations but i will enjoy the journey

Last edited:
Top Bottom