Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

Alan grabbed one of my prospects, so here's another. I really butchered the bridge, but hey, I'm not Frankie Laine, either. It was a lovely afternoon to play the ukulele, too ...

This one was somewhat difficult. It shifts back and forth between C minor and D major, for one thing. And my finger was getting stiff from playing the C minor chord. I was having trouble getting it to bend again for the chord changes. Old age, I guess.

P.S. I would like to do "The Cowboy and the Lady" (not the John Denver song) from the movie of the same name, but I can't understand all the lyrics from the youtube clips and I can't find a lyric sheet. I would just like to point out that there is a ukulele-playing cowboy in it!

https://youtu.be/KBRdUEnGtZ0?t=1m34s

Second entry. Can't believe this hasn't been done yet, though the Martins did a fine job on my season a couple of weeks ago. Reputedly written on the back of a barf bag on a flight when Willie was still discussing his participation in the movie for which it was written. Grover was trying to do bad things to a vole as I played. He hasn't succeeded. Yet.

Randy wants us out of our comfort zones, so here's a fairly rare original from me. Just came to me today.

P.S. I would like to do "The Cowboy and the Lady" (not the John Denver song) from the movie of the same name, but I can't understand all the lyrics from the youtube clips and I can't find a lyric sheet. I would just like to point out that there is a ukulele-playing cowboy in it!

https://youtu.be/KBRdUEnGtZ0?t=1m34s

According to Wiki "The Cowboy and the Lady" (Lionel Newman and Arthur Quenzer) performed by cowboys in the restaurant

Not sure if the beach scene is the same song as the one your looking for Alan. In that clip most of the words are deedeedeedeedeedeedee.
I listened to the song in the restaurant on the movie (YT) and its still hard to detect the lyrics.

i also looked at that song!!

in the comments on this vid, that is the relevant clip from the film, here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBRdUEnGtZ0

someone has helpfully given the lyrics...

An old trail, cool and shady,
Led them to the prairie,
Where the cowboy and the lady fell in love
Yippee-yay! where the buffalo no longer roam
Yippee-yay! where the Navajo once lived they built a home

yippee-aye-yay! :rock:

randy forgive me for posting that vid link!

all riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

you can take the girl (ie. the old uke lady) out of the blues and open tunings season
but you can't take the blues and open tunings out of the girl (ie. old uke lady)

so here's a homemade song for the week

Last edited:
Two weeks in a row. Must be some kind of record. It seems to be harder these days to gather the Portland seasonistas but we couldn't resist a visit from Eric Velasco (erivel) and his brother Cave to our fair city. Ralf supplied the usual charisma suitable for the intro and Brian hosted the whole affair at his Woodstock Ukulele Studio.

Here is Brian's arrangement of "Live and Let Die" by Paul and Linda McCartney. The song became the first James Bond theme song to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song (garnering McCartney his second Academy Award nomination and Linda her first).

Last edited:
Audition (The Fools Who Dream)

A nominee in 2016 from the same film as the winning song.

I bought the La La Land songbook a while ago and am glad of the excuse to give this song a go.

I tried wee_ginga_yin's method for connecting a USB mic to my phone to record this one, with (I think) some success although I guess the level isn't as high as it should be.

Hi Randy ... brilliant theme this week! From one of my favourite films, "Charade" ... Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant and Paris at its most romantic, what could possibly go wrong? Perhaps me trying to sing the theme tune.

And another U2 song that was on the list, I almost missed it as Bono is being named by his "real" name Paul Hewson. This is called ordinary love.

So I saw this on the list as the winner of 1981 and thought do I dare?? LOL Well, I did dare, and in the record key to boot, as a challenge. Judge the results for yourself...I did like Christopher Cross back in the day, and it's easy to forget how hot of an artist he was for a short period of time. Seemed like his songs were on the radio constantly in the early 80's.

Another nominee that didn't make it to the Oscar winner's list, this time from 1960:

Wow. Amazing second day. I can't wait to hear what the rest of the week brings.

hendulele ** Blazing Saddles ** This is a great song, and I've struggled with it on several occasions. Good job!

AlanDP ** Dust ** Way to go! You dug deep for this one, and nailed it!

hendulele ** On The Road Again ** Great song, and I love Willie!

UkuleleLibrarian ** Eye of the Tiger ** So good - a manic and marvelous version!

Recovering Bassist ** Ask Her Oscar ** Holy cow, I really LIKE you out of your comfort zone! Good song, good hook! Love it!

bird's eye view of my ukelele ** Ode To Oscar ** The song is terrific, and the "Marilyn with an Oscar" is Uber-brilliant!!! Love everything here!

librainian ** Live and Let Die Theme ** Wow. I didn't expect this gem. And from an All-Star Band, too! Magnificent!

wee_ginga_yin ** True Love ** Wild take on this classic! Love it!

jimavery ** Audition (The Fools Who Dream) ** I really enjoyed La La Land, and this is a good song. I love your beautiful take on it!

LimousinLil ** Charade ** Oh yes. Wonderful movie, beautiful song. I'm so happy you brought this so lovingly!

xommen ** Ordinary Love ** I've never seen Mandela, and I never made the Bono connection. Good song, well done!

lelouden ** Chattanooga Choo Choo ** You know what I like! Amazing as usual! You really get a rich beautiful tone out of that bari!

TCK ** Let It Go ** My 3 YO great-niece sings this all the time. All. The. Time. I love your take a lot. And, you're adorable!

Recovering Bassist ** Arthur's Theme ** It had to be done. And I'm glad you did it. Awesome.

AlanDP ** The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B ** Oh yeah. Despite being very much a song of its era, it is also timeless in its own way. And your take is terrific!

chrisschross ** The Green Leaves of Summer ** Your performance almost made me cry. So beautiful, such amazing playing.

wow! wonderful job sir ! i covered this song for the original SOTU Oscars week 7 years ago.

So I saw this on the list as the winner of 1981 and thought do I dare?? LOL Well, I did dare, and in the record key to boot, as a challenge. Judge the results for yourself...I did like Christopher Cross back in the day, and it's easy to forget how hot of an artist he was for a short period of time. Seemed like his songs were on the radio constantly in the early 80's.

Top Bottom