Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

I hadn't originally planned to enter this round, but then, I was reminded that one of my favourite songs to play on the uke was nominated for Best Original Song in 1979, even if it lost out that year.

So, here's my instrumental version of Kermit the Frog's classic from The Muppet Movie: "The Rainbow Connection".

The arrangement I'm playing comes the JustinGuitar Ukulele songbook, in case anyone is wondering.

Last edited:
- - cuz it's Gershwin!!!

I have been trying to learn some Gershwin tunes, but this one was not at the top of my list. It fits the theme though , and is a good song, so I tried (but need more time!). I decided to do this clumsily rather than not at all. The only chord change I made to doctoruke's sheet was leaving out D7-5 which did not seem to add anything good, musically speaking, at least, not the way I played it.

This is from Shall We Dance, 1937, the year George died. His brother, Ira, the lyricist part of the team, kept on producing some great stuff.

They Can't Take That Away From Me, by Geo. & Ira Gershwin

Some fantastic entries and I need to get my ears on.....1960 Winner ...this 2018 copy isn't...
but hey whatever, I threw it together and actually took some time ...it needs more and will get it...
I used the ukulele for the bouzouki part and used the 'zouk to fill ,probably much like a Baglama would be ...
the Bouzouki is tuned in the same intervals as the uke but lower than a baritone coming in at CFAD.
Rough as sandpaper....but you know me ...so am I.....The bass is a standard acoustic gitjo...

A Hoagy Charmichael 1946 nomination "Ole Buttermilk Sky".

I thought it was unbelievable that there is no other ukulele cover of this song on the tube. Someone else could do soooooo much better than mine!

What is a Buttermilk Sky?
A "buttermilk sky" is peppered with rippled patches of mid-level altocumulus or high-level cirrocumulus clouds that take on the appearance of clabbered milk. In maritime regions this is referred to as a "mackerel sky" because the clouds resemble the scales of a fish; in France, it is called a "ciel mouton." Weatherwise, it portends rain within half a day; an old expression warns that "Mares' tails and mackerel scales make lofty ships to bear low sails."

I decided to do one myself this week! This is from the 1940 movie, "Rhythm On The River." Bing Crosby sang it in the movie, and later recoded it and had a minor hit.

Last edited:
I think I figured out why this program wasn't working for me a few days ago.

Theme song from True Grit. Also known as "Someday, Little Girl."

An original that I just kind of whipped out real quick tonight. Partially inspired by Bernie's song.

Oh...

I deserve an Oscar
For keepin' my act cool
When I saw you out with some other guy
And you made me feel a fool
Yeah, I deserve an Oscar
For keepin' an even keel
When you treated me the way you did
And made me feel the way I feel

Darlin' I deserved an Oscar
When you said it had to end
For smilin' and agreein'
When you said we'd still be friends
Yeah, and I deserve my own star
On that Hollywood Walk of Fame
For actin' like it meant nothin' to me
When I saw your cheatin' game

And I would like to thank my parents
For raisin' me the way they did
And teachin' me self-discipline
Back when I was just a kid
And I would like to thank the good Lord
For teachin' me the Golden Rule
'Cause I would never do the things you did
when you used me like a tool

Wow, a fun Friday!

mountain goat ** Bare Necessities ** Oh yeah! I love this song too! Good to see you here, as always!

Tootler ** Moon River ** Such a pretty tune, such a pretty rendition.

cua94 ** Zip A Dee Doo Da ** Fun, sweet song! Great addition to the Season!

mythinformed ** Mona Lisa ** I've heard so many versions of this beautiful tune over the years. Your version is just wonderful.

chrisschross ** All His Children ** I really enjoy your music. Keep 'em coming!

Recovering Bassist ** Kiss The Girl ** I've heard this, can't say I've very familiar with it though. Good work, congrats for making the right choice and obeying your wife!

One Man And His Uke ** To Me You're More Than Just A Major Character In A 1960 Oscar Winning Billy Wilder Film ** Well done!

Eynowd ** The Rainbow Connection ** Very pretty version here. Love it!

spookelele ** Beauty And The Beast ** Nice picking! Well done!

spookelele ** Under The Sea ** Well that was fun! I've never seen the movie, gotta do that one of these days!

dickadcock ** They Can't Take That Away From Me ** Swoon! There's nothing better than a Gershwin tune, and your version here is wonderful.

CeeJay ** Ta Pedia To Pirea ** Well! That was amazing!

lelouden ** Ole Buttermilk Sky ** Fun fun fun! This is a real good song, and I LOVE you take!

Harry122 ** Only Forever ** You have so little talent, but at least you're good looking!

Recovering Bassist ** 9 to 5 ** The work was well worth it. So good!

aspieman456 ** Somewhere Over The Rainbow ** This is such a timeless, beautiful song, and your take on it is just wonderful

AlanDP ** True Grit ** I haven't heard this song in a long time. It's a good one. So is your take on it. Nice arrangement.

AlanDP ** I Deverve An Oscar ** I'm loving these "Oscar Originals" Well done!

One of those weeks where I bite off more than I can chew...
Spent quite a bit of time transposing a nineties Pixar movie song, but can't get it to work.
I hope someone else does it.

I owe this song to the theme, (Thanks Randy!) and to Linda asking for open tunings last week. I did not get a song in then, but the open tuning I was trying led me to the sound of this song. When I saw Randy's theme my first thought was "OK, not this week", then "Hot dogs and bologna?" , then I came up with this.

"Win an Oscar"

Cordoba Protege Concert tuned G# C Eb G (Open G#maj7 )

Thanks for having me when I can make it!

:)

"Ladies and Gentlemen! The Oh-Need-ers!"

I should have dropped the key in this a good long way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom