Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

Nominated but did'nt win I dont know why.Perhaps confused with the chocolates

"Chim Chim Cher-ee" Oscar winner 1964

After weegingayin asked me if I was going for the pearly king look a couple of weeks ago, I knew I had to cover this one - but boy was it a challenge! Still, thanks to Rob & Randy for giving me the push to do it.

This version follows the one you see in the movie - with all 3 key changes!

I found the the actual sheet music after I recorded this, and it seems to be different to the music actually used in the film so I'm not sure which version actually won the Oscar (music copyright dates from 1963, but the movie copyright dates from 1964).

As mentioned, the music used in the movie goes through 3 key changes (Cm-Bbm-Bm-Cm [I went Am-Gm-Abm-Am]), whereas the published music remains in C-minor throughout. Nor does the song performed in the movie use the line: "Though I'm covered with soot from me 'ead to me toes, a sweep knows 'e's welcome wherever 'e goes.", even though that's contained in the published lyrics (it follows the line I choose me bristles with pride, yes I do - a broom for the shaft and a brush for the flue).
Did Dick van Dyke ever actually sing that line? Or more to the point, does anyone know which version it was that the Oscar was actually awarded for?

p.s., Jimmy Page reckons Stairway to Heaven uses the same chord progression. Go figure.

Last edited:
1953 Fillum the caddy...which surprisingly isn't about the place that we Brits keep our tea ,but about some heinous activity called Golf (Which tragically is not only
a small German car made by VW) . This song was kept off top spot and the golden feller by "secret Love " from the film "Calamity Jane".

I'm not a big fan of the Oscars or any of these award ceremonies. It's basically the glitterati patting themselves on the back. (old cynic that I am :))

However there are some good songs among these:

Secret Love, from the movie "Calamity Jane" won the Oscar for best original song in 1953. It was recorded 10 years later in the UK by Kathy Kirby in a more up tempo version. Kathy Kirby's version is what I remember. I've chosen to do it more up tempo. Kathy Kirby opened the song with the middle 8 but I've left the sequence of the verses as they were in the original song but added some mouth trumpet before repeating the middle 8 at the end.

1953 Fillum the caddy...which surprisingly isn't about the place that we Brits keep our tea ,but about some heinous activity called Golf (Which tragically is not only
a small German car made by VW) . This song was kept off top spot and the golden feller by "secret Love " from the film "Calamity Jane".

https://youtu.be/EBKG4CEsUlc

And look what was just underneath. I guess it got 'top spot' here :)

Thanks for hosting Randy and for choosing such a fantastic theme. I've really enjoyed listening to the entries. The Streets of Philadelphia won the Academy Award in 1994. I had a great time learning and recording this one today. I'm starting to feel normal again except for the cough. For a simple song, it was deceptively tough working out the vocal lines. . .

Another awesome day. Wow.

bird's eye view of my ukelele ** Sister (Miss Celie's Blues) ** This was such a glorious highlight of that movie, and your version is powerful and wonderful!

pabrizzer ** Moon River ** Gorgeous, tender, and beautiful. Well done.

stanat20 ** That Old Black Magic ** Love your take on this! I've always been partial to Louis & Keely's version, but yours is terrific too!

redpaul1 ** Chim Chim Cher-ee ** I was 10 years old when this movie came out. My folks took us kids to the drive-in to see this. We didn't go to very many movies, and this was really magical. Well done, love the whole thing!

CeeJay ** That's Amore ** Very nice! I love Martin's performance of this in The Caddy.

Tootler ** Secret Love ** Such a good song, and I like your song, including the mouth trumpet. I've always struggled with that.

Jazzbanjorex ** Time Of My Life ** Well done! I like your arrangement. And your dancing lady.

AlanDP ** The Cowboy And The Lady ** Oh boy. This is fabulous! This song deserves to be saved from obscurity, and I'm glad that you're the one to do it. This is something special.

Jazzbanjorex ** Buttons and Bows ** Excellent. I remember that this song was sung on TV variety shows a lot when I was a little kid.

Mezcalero ** Streets of Philadelphia ** This is so good. Isn't it great when you work out a song, and then deliver it so beautifully? Way to go!

Well it had to be done. I see there was one other entry from La La Land. This is still my favorite though. I changed the key (obviously.)

I never had heard this song before, which was the winner of 1937, but I gave it a listen and thought perfect for the ukulele, and a challenging vocal. Check and check! So here is my attempt.

The Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1936: "The Way You Look Tonight" by Dorothy Fields and Jerome Kern. Lots of chords (borrowed from Dr Uke website, but missing some and misplaced others):

I loved this ditty as a little kid, and I like it now, but man oh man was this ever tough to attempt!! Believe me when I say that I'm "banged up" after numerous takes.... lol

Many thanks for hosting! The last seasons I didn't participate, but I tried a lot with my baritone, which now will be tuned for the next time in open G, love it (triggered by and thanks to Ms Louden and Mr Pabrizzer). My skills are still poor, so only a soprano track with the song.Too many constructions at moment: bass and baritone....

Top Gun:

Top Bottom