Season 314: And The Nominees Are...

Now I can't hear this song without picturing the king from the Bud Lite commercials singing it. :p

My last entry was from 1960. Now we are doing a leap of five years:
The Sweetheart Tree from the movie The Great Race from 1965

The last Waltz? Who knows...

Last edited:

Hi, Randy! My second entry for the Week ... from the 1951 film "The Strip". I'd never heard of the film before, but the song is very familiar. (Sorry ... try as I might, I couldn't get the balance right between the uke and the vocals on this and I didn't have time to do it again!)

Last edited:
As Wednesday ends in the US Midwest, I am a happy movie enthusiast! So much terrific music!

Jazzbanjorex ** Tammy ** Wonderful song, and your voice is beautiful here.

librainian ** City of Stars ** This is a really good song, and your artistry and craftsmanship show in this performance. So good.

wee_ginga_yin ** Cheek To Cheek ** Very nice version here!

Recovering Bassist ** Sweet Leilani ** I like this song a lot! Well done! New to you, eh? You gotta listen to more hapa-haole!

kolibri ** The Way You Look Tonight ** This song has become one of the premiere standards of that age. I like you sweet take on it! And your kitty!

Recovering Bassist ** Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ** Fun song! Yup, this was huge when I was a little kid!

pabrizzer ** Chim Chim Cher-ee ** Absolutely lovely version! Love it. Love the bowler too!

elmann ** Take My Breath Away ** Really fun and laid-back take on this song. Love it!

xommen ** Make It To Oscar ** Good song, good message.

Ukefoote ** The Spy Who Loved Me ** I like this a lot. The Bond songs are always something special!

chrisschross ** The Sweetheart Tree ** Really good. It's funny that such a silly movie produced such a lovely tune.

Jazzbanjorex ** Wilhelmina ** Digging deep and coming up with gold! Real good.

AlanDP ** Sweet Leilani ** Oh yeah. Terrific falsetto too! And, the best whistle in the Seasons!

LimousinLil ** Give Me A Kiss To Build A Dream On ** Oh yeah! I love this song! Thanks for bringing it here!

thanks for hosting the week Randy.
weirdly enough, i began my rollercoaster youtube journey in 2010
with this song. it's the only recording i ever made
with more than 10K views and 100+ likes.
says more about the song than the way i play it;
still one of my favourite songs, fullstop.
it didn't win the Oscar in '67 but it darn well should have.
cheers mate.

AlanDP ** Sweet Leilani ** Oh yeah. Terrific falsetto too! And, the best whistle in the Seasons!
truth, Randy. eh, but don't forget TCK and thesillydave though! their whistling is up there with Ike's scatting too!!!

Here is my second. I decided to do this as an instrumental as it's a gorgeous melody.

Moon River, from Breakfast at Tiffany's - best song 1961

Played with harmonica, bass recorder and 6 string tenor ukulele. The photos are of the River Tees.

Here is my entry:

this is my first try with my new laptop. I will work on getting it better.

My last waltz, I promise. From the 1970 movie Sometimes a great Notion another Henry Mancini Song, this time sung by Charley Pride:

Here's another from The Little Mermaid my wife wanted me to try, that of course I'd never heard before, so here's my rapidly slapped together rendition......

I could have entitled this song simply “Fran Kubelik” but then I wouldn’t have been able to get the word Oscar in the title. This will likely be my one and only entry this season. Initially I wanted to write a song inspired by Montgomery Clift, one of my all time favourite actors in spite of the fact I have only ever seen him in two films, A Place In The Sun and From Here To Eternity. I think I’m correct that he was nominated for Best Actor for both but didn’t win....in fact he never won an Oscar. That said, Fred Zinnemann, director of From Here To Eternity credited Clift with bringing out the performance from Sinatra that won him Oscar for best supporting actor. I also read somewhere that Scott Tracey, pilot of Thunderbird 1, was modelled on Montgomery Clift. Clift sadly died aged 45, a short and from what I know of him, pretty intense life, plagued by various personal demons. But he was a fantastic actor and his place in the pantheon of greats is assured.

I’m not altogether sure how I got from Montgomery Clift to Fran Kubelik, I did start to write a song about Clift but somehow it never really took shape. I did of course, how could I not, mention Clift in this “song”. The Apartment is another of my all time favourite films, Billy Wilder’s follow up to Some Like It Hot, and he wanted to cast Jack Lemmon again, this time as Shirley MacLaine’s (Fran Kubelik) love interest. Like Montgomery Clift, Shirley MacLaine was nominated for an Oscar for The Apartment but didn’t win. It’s a great great film, if you haven’t seen it yet, what are you waiting for?

Top Bottom