How to learn scales and read music?

Rad Comrade

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to learn to play scales and read music with uke, does anyone have any good resources? I'm specifically looking for books or printable sheets that show the correct fingering for playing each scale, and it's been really hard to find anything for ukulele for some reason. Thanks!

For scales I use the movable scale pattern. I like to use them to warm up and usually use a metronome. I've been a musician for over 50 years so reading was no problem. Being a trumpeter I did have to learn to read tab which took some time. It's not rocket science, relax and enjoy the process. Try finding a teacher if you can.

At the risk of being obvious I use the Hal Leonard Ukulele Scale Finder by Chad Johnson. It contains all the modes as well as some other stuff like pentatonic scales. However, it is limited to the first three strings. If you want to learn some scales using a linear tuning you're on your own. However, even that isn't too hard as all it requires is shifting up or down a fret for certain strings. As for "reading music," I don't quite know what you mean. To me, that means being able to look at sheet music and play it on the ukulele. For the overwhelming majority here, it means looking at tablature, which doesn't require any training aside from 30 seconds or so of reading to get oriented in that system.

My favorite online resource for scales is this one from Live 'Ukulele, although I have to admit that I learned the aforementioned moveable major, and minor pentatonic, scales years ago and never really progressed beyond that. There isn't really a single "correct fingering" for ukulele which might be why you haven't found much.

Another suggestion that you might find useful for learning is Daniel Ward's Arpeggio Meditations for Ukulele. While not scales per se, these are really good exercises that do include suggested fingerings and really get you to concentrate on hearing and playing the notes that make up each chord.

Top Bottom