Completed piccolo

Sven

Reaction score
Hiya folks. Haven't had anything to show here for some time. One year ago I had a rough customer and it sort of drained my enthusiasm so nothing much happened for a while after that. But you know the bug, once you've got it you cannot fight it. So I built a couple of ukes for myself and then I built one with hand tools on a porch and that was primitive even by my standards. But it helped me get my mojo back.

Now I have six instruments on the bench and I need to plan ahead for the first time in years. But it doesn't stress me out, quite the opposite actually.

A couple of days ago I finished a cherry piccolo for an online mate in England. He specifically asked for a demo vid and now that it's out there I'll inflict it upon you guys as well.

Cheers / Sven

I hear quite a difference between the two ukes. I prefer the smaller, first one. Much more alive... Glad to hear you are motivated again Sven. I hear you about the waxing and waning enthusiasm. Maybe sometimes we need to take a break?... My only question: What happened to the mustache? Shaving accident?

You'd have to ask my wife about the missing mustache. It's not been discussed for a while.

Hey Sven I've been struggling lately .. My get up and go is drained at the moment and everything seems to be too much like hard work:( I put it down to old age and alcohol :rolleyes:..But! you are a fit young lad and should be on those skis of yours and competing in the Olympics ...Seriously tho' It dosn't take much to knock the wind out of my sails...Nice little ukes them Piccolos keep making e'm.....But I'm not keen on those reso's or banjos (nasty jangly things) they kill my hearing aids and give me Tinnitus. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Fanx Ken, not least for your deluded comments about my age and fitness. The piccolos are very special to me, they’re pretty darn close to the essence of a uke, at least in my opinion. I’m making one now of mahogany and hope I can find a nice piece for the neck.

I too like the look and sound of your piccolos: cherry is also one of my favourite woods. What's the scale length and nut width you have used? I'm assuming you are using Seaguar fishing line or similar, so I'm interested to know what gauge you are using for the strings.

Hi, and fanx. Scale length is 280 mm, nut width is my normal 35 mm. Fluorocarbon fishing line leaders, brand is right now Extreme and gauges are 40-80-60-30. Which makes for a bit of floppiness when I tune the uke gcea. But it’s a floppiness I like.

Your building choices certainly pays homage to early ukuleles. Frets set into the neck, wooden tuners, one piece bridge & saddle and Back extension over the heal all tug at my heart strings.
Building one on the porch with simple hand tools channels luthiers of 500 years ago.
I've always found your posts on point and inspiring to this hobby builder.

Last edited:
On point and inspiring - that’s about the kindest words I’ve evere read about myself!

Wait, I did read earlier today that I was ”a fit young lad” and elsewhere that I am bad ass. So it’s been a great day for compliments. I thank all of you.

Top Bottom