Butt ugly

I don't know, but if I were strolling around England and had 6 pounds. I'd probably buy it instead of two pints. However I do know what you mean. It is ugly, but you get what you pay for. For example--since we're talking British ukuleles--I have commissioned a great ukulele from an English luthier for a little less than 800 GBP. It will be awesome as it should be for over 100 times the cost of that Martin Smith runt.

That uke looks good for one to replay the scene in the movie "Animal House"...

Guy sitting on the stairs, singing "I gave my love a cherry from on the tree"

(and then Belushi grabs the guitar from his hand and smashes it beyond repair)

Considering the starting bid price, the rosette is probably a misplaced decal, not a woodworking project gone awry. Remove the decal, add an "abalone" or "rosewood" decal of your choosing, or keep it plain. Simple fix.

Enlarging and re-centering the sound hole itself would not be so simple. Maybe the decal is in the right place.

Can't tell for sure because of the amateur photography... is the neck off-center?

Last edited:
It's not so much as to what it looks like, but more a case of how does it play & sound, & if it doesn't, for £6 it would make a nice wall hanger / clock. :)

I don't know, but if I were strolling around England and had 6 pounds. I'd probably buy it instead of two pints. However I do know what you mean. It is ugly, but you get what you pay for. For example--since we're talking British ukuleles--I have commissioned a great ukulele from an English luthier for a little less than 800 GBP. It will be awesome as it should be for over 100 times the cost of that Martin Smith runt.

Two pints for £6... I've got to get out of London...

I like the intended body shape - then I like unique shapes, like the bell shape and the vita uke shape. However, the workmanship looks to be just horrid on it!

People will buy anything.

I did indeed review one - one of the worst ukuleles I ever saw. In fact it's hard to call it a ukulele. Ukulele shaped object is a better term. The sad thing is - Martin Smith are extremely prevalent in certain catalogue stores in the UK. These are the first things many people see when searching for a ukulele and think that this IS what ukuleles are like. The brand should be utterly ashamed.

I was drinking beer in Coyote Ugly yesterday afternoon. Okay, about the ukulele. A friend of mine bought a couple pretty much like that, if not the same thing. He doesn't play the ukulele. He has a tiki bar out by his pool and he just thought that they made nice decorations and that if someone wanted to try to play them, they would be good enough. I tried one out. They are playable, but they make me sound worse than I am, and I need all the help that I can get. So I don't want one. As far as getting one to give to a kid, I would at least give a kid something they have a chance at learning to play.

Top Bottom