Poll: Do you prefer a gloss or satin finished neck?

Do you prefer a gloss or a satin finished neck?

• I prefer a gloss finished neck

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I prefer a satin finished neck

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters

Rakelele

Reaction score
I know that many players prefer a satin finished neck as they find it smoother and faster, less sticky to slide your hand up and down. Ukulele makers such as John Kinnard, Kanilea, Ko'olau and Pono have reacted to that and now offer instruments with a high gloss body and a satin neck.

While I certainly appreciate their effort to present such an option, I feel just the opposite, namely that a satin neck gets greasy from sweat, making it stickier over time. While I can just wipe down a gloss finished neck with a towel after playing or even use some guitar polish spray, I haven't found an equally efficient way of cleaning a satin finished neck.

With this background, I find it interesting to find out more about how many players prefer what type of finish on their ukulele necks, and why? Please fill out the poll above and/or share your opinion with a comment below.

Last edited:
I prefer a satin finish to the entire ukulele, to be honest. Gloss always seems to be trying to distract from the look of the wood.

I think you should have a third option - “I have no preference”.

I have ukes with both. To me, neck shape is much more important than gloss vs. satin. All things being equal, I slightly prefer satin but it’s not anything that would impact whether or not I would choose a particular uke.

Hey Rainer, interesting perspective from your end on the satin neck getting grimey!!!

I voted satin neck even though my hands very rarely get damp or sticky. The best neck for that is one finished in Tru Oil, it is really like unfinished wood. My Mya Moe and LfdM baritone have that finish on the neck. With other satin necks I like to give them a few wipes with OOOO steel wool now and then. Cleans them up real good and gives a much better surface.

Doesn't matter. All if my satin necks are now hand rubbed polished gloss finish from use. Have yet to see one that doesn't polish over time.

John

I've never even thought about it until now, and now that I have, I've not come to any conclusion.

I put "satin" because in summer when my hands get sweaty, the gloss is too slippery.

Having said that, I really prefer whatever is the finish on my concert Flea, as well as the shape of the neck.

I've tried lots of other ukes over the years, and the Flea shape and surface is very comfortable for me and I like it a lot.

Satin everything for me, not just the neck; which is why I am so glad to have picked up a Koaloha Opio when they still made them in sapele, with the satin finish.

Gloss looks great, but I don't like the way it feels so much - and it makes the ukulele more slippery to hold against my (clothed) body.
(Whereas on skin, like the left hand, gloss sticks a bit)

The Mainland that I bought a few years ago has a gloss finish, so I used one of those green dishwashing sponges to sand the neck. I seem to remember reading Aldrine does the same thing, so at least I'm in good company! ;)

New member here. Glad to be aboard. I personally prefer satin for the whole instrument.

There are only 2 choices, so I picked the lesser of evils.

I actually prefer NO finish on my uke necks. Just wax on bare wood. Gloss is really the worst.

Another vote for satin. The gloss necks I have tried felt plasticky and sticky. I do own a 2006 KoAloha that has a semi-gloss finish and I'm ok with it. But if I could zap it with a magic wand and make the neck satin, I would. I wouldn't be opposed to gloss on the body of a uke if the neck was satin.

I voted satin, but actually prefer necks unfinished (like my viola & violin). Some day I'll strip them all. (Or not...)

bratsche

My recently-purchased VTAB Concert had a gloss finish on both the body and the neck. I played it for about a week before I took some 0000 steel wool and gave the neck a good rubbing. The gloss is gone, the neck now has a smooth, soft, satin finish, and I now love playing it.

I'm usually satin or bare wood all the way on my instruments. For some reason, though, the gloss on my new Cordoba 35T feels fine and doesn't seem to stick at all. I don't get it.

It appears, based on the poll and comments, that satin necks are far more desirable. Why then are so many ukuleles made with gloss necks? Most mid-priced production ukuleles and many of the higher priced ukes are gloss.

It appears, based on the poll and comments, that satin necks are far more desirable. Why then are so many ukuleles made with gloss necks? Most mid-priced production ukuleles and many of the higher priced ukes are gloss.

Propably because a buyer without much playing knowledge values a glossy neck more for the visual impression.

I have a cheap violin hanging on the wall and looked and everything else is glossy ecxept the playing part of the neck, for a reason I think, except don't know how it is with the a better ones.

I looked at my Kala-CEM and yes a glossy neck. It is not that bad though. The contact surface to hand is so small, compared to a guitar. Also I notice that usually I don't glide my thumb but change the positions with a step move.

I have an electric guitar with a glossy maple neck and with it the stickiness is a much bigger bother :)

Top Bottom