Poll: Do you prefer a gloss or satin finished neck?

Do you prefer a gloss or a satin finished neck?

• I prefer a gloss finished neck

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I prefer a satin finished neck

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters
I need a third option of no preference or either one is fine. Most of my ukes are satin but i have one gloss and its not any harder to slide for me.

Maybe it's just me being prissy and weird but I wash my hands before playing my ukes esp if i have been eating something sticky or have sweat, grease, or lotion on my hands so the sticky neck thing hasn't been an issue for me. My palmar skin texture is also smooth, slide-y and dry. I also tend to play in air conditioned venues. I guess when i try busking outside on a hot day my answer might change! Could be acids in sweat interacting with gloss finish?
You've given me much to think about.

Very interesting answers, keep'em coming!

By now, there is an impressive majority who voted for the satin finished neck, so I guess the companies which offer this are definitely on to something.

My Maton concert had a thick gloss finish which was very sticky, ojectionably so. That was cured by the application of some 0000 wire wool. The gloss finsh on the Pono electric is more appropriate and has never bothered me. Most of the rest have satin necks and I do prefer the satin finish.

Not sure how you categorise Mrs Timms' French polish but that's particularly nice to the touch.

It appears, based on the poll and comments, that satin necks are far more desirable. Why then are so many ukuleles made with gloss necks? Most mid-priced production ukuleles and many of the higher priced ukes are gloss.
Only if you assume that 46 members of UU represents the entire ukulele community. For that matter, one would need to assume that the membership of UU represents the ukulele community, something that I've come to realize over time is not the case.

Last edited:
I prefer satin NECKS.
But I prefer gloss ukuleles overall.

I'd pick a gloss ukulele over a satin ukulele, with all other things being equal.

But I prefer a satin neck.

Ideally a ukulele's body should be gloss and the neck-only satin.

I'm a sucker for the gloss look

I just discovered a new thing although my answer is still pretty much the same. Not all gloss necks are equal. When I gave my original answer the only gloss necks I had tried were my own TT and someone's Pono. Neither of those affected my grip. I now have an IZ and I really dislike the neck gloss as far as feel goes. Feels like dipped in silicone spray or pig grease. That is after cleaning! Ugh. I may start reading through those DIY to remove neck gloss!

I prefer satin NECKS.
But I prefer gloss ukuleles overall.

I'd pick a gloss ukulele over a satin ukulele, with all other things being equal.

But I prefer a satin neck.

Ideally a ukulele's body should be gloss and the neck-only satin.

I'm a sucker for the gloss look

Yeah, same here. I think gloss really brings out the depth of wood grain in a way satin doesn't, especially when the wood is beautifully figured. The key is not having it look cheaply applied, or too thick with a plasticky look. I really love my Kala ASOV tenor - the solid ovangkol back and sides have gorgeous moving 3D figure in the grain that looks almost like a chatoyant polished tiger's eye gemstone slab. And it also has a satin finished neck! The best of both worlds: it sounds and looks great, and is super comfortable to play.

bratsche

I guess whatever feels good at the time with that particular Uke... :)

I'd like to see a ukulele neck finished like a violin neck. Seems like that would be the ultimate in play-ability.

Top Bottom