D’Addario Two-Way Humidification System for concert uke?

shroomshade

Reaction score
I just purchased a KoAloha KCM-00, and am trying to make sure I keep it properly humidified. I got an Oasis humidifier, but have been concerned with too much humidity, as I live in a very humid climate in the southeastern US. I read reviews of this two-way humidification system, and it looked like a good option, though it is primarily designed for guitars. I bought it on Amazon to try it out; here is the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-PW-...ag-20&linkId=9ac1fe55957cb1059220032f44082490

I also have an inside the case hygrometer arriving tomorrow to help me keep an eye on humidity.

However, the included soundhole pouch is nowhere near being able to fit in my soundhole. So I can put the headstock pouch under the headstock, but not sure about the soundhole.

A couple questions:

1. Anyone have experience using this for a smaller uke, and should it work well, or should I be looking for a different option?

2. Would it be OK to just set the soundhole pouch on the strings? Or should I put it somewhere else? I have an Oahu wooded case which has an arch, so there is room to simply set it on top the strings, but not sure how effective it will be.

Thanks for any input.

I am going to standardize on these because I have to do nothing but put them into the case. As you say, the saddlebag unit is too large for a uke, so I cut it in half and put one in the sound hole and one under the head. Then I have the third piece left over for another uke. I'm surprised they don't make them for ukes (yet), but the uke version would be smaller for about the same price.

Using this type sure beats having to fill humidifiers every week or so.

I use both on three tenors. I always use Oasis in sound hole. Tthe humidipacks are at the head and under the neck. IF you are in high humidity area, I would think Oasis in case or sound hole would be good enough. That said, the humidipacks are great and very little work. Just put them in the case. They can be re charged by putting then in a tupper ware containter within a container and allowing them to absorb more water. They are two way so they can add or remove humidity. Ilike them.
My .02 cents worth

Boveda makes the D'Addario two-way humidification kit, and they make one under their own brand too. The saddlebags are nicer though still too big. I don't put them in the sound hole, but I do manage to cram them in. They have a starter kit, and you can buy the saddlebags separately too. Here's a link to the starter kit on Amazon.

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I've been using this for a few days and have an Inkbird hygrometer in the case (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2Hi0sc6PKD4ZvgXwnN1HtD).

I don't know if the D’Addario system is not working or if the hygrometer is just grossly wrong, but humidity in the case after 18 hours allegedly varies from around 59-65, with it being around 61-62 right when opening the case. I've been putting one of the packs behind the headstock and the other resting on top of the soundhole/body.

Should I perhaps try a different hygrometer, or a different dehumidifying option? If I leave the hygrometer out of the case for awhile it creeps up to 66-68 and even hit 70 once...it certainly does not feel that humid in here, so not really sure I'm getting an accurate reading.

Thanks for all the feedback on this. I've been using this for a few days and have an Inkbird hygrometer in the case (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2Hi0sc6PKD4ZvgXwnN1HtD).

I don't know if the D’Addario system is not working or if the hygrometer is just grossly wrong, but humidity in the case after 18 hours allegedly varies from around 59-65, with it being around 61-62 right when opening the case. I've been putting one of the packs behind the headstock and the other resting on top of the soundhole/body.

Should I perhaps try a different hygrometer, or a different dehumidifying option? If I leave the hygrometer out of the case for awhile it creeps up to 66-68 and even hit 70 once...it certainly does not feel that humid in here, so not really sure I'm getting an accurate reading.

Most likely the hygrometer is off. You can check its accuracy by getting the Boveda calibration kit.

I have several hygrometers, and all of them are off. Some instrument cases close more tightly and thus keep a higher humidity, though I've yet to have any register above 49% when using the 49% Boveda packs.

Belt and suspenders

I have Oasis humidifier in the soundhole and D'Addario 2-way in the case. I get adequate humidification during the dry times. I've never been in a wet enough climate to experience the other end of the scale.

To test your hygrometer just seal it with one of the packets in a Tupperware container with a tight lid. Check it after a couple hours and it should read whatever % your packet is (I use the 49%, so it should read 49%) just make note of any variance. plus or minus.

I use two of the packs in my uke cases. I use one in the headstock and lay the other flat under the strings; over the sound hole. I use the fabric holders and, according to Boveda, they are leak-resistant, so I am not worried about any damage to the finish (I've been using them for about a year and have not had a leak).

Boveda sez...

I contacted Boveda and asked how many packs to use in a ukulele case and where to place them. They replied:

At first installation, place two Boveda 49% packets in the single pouch towards the top of the case under the instrument's neck near the head-stock. This will help "season" the case. Once the case's humidity has settled in, you can most likely go with one Boveda per application.

This seems like a reasonable answer to shroomshade's original post.

I have a question - does anybody know what kind of fabric the pouches are made of? Seems like it would be pretty easy to MYUP (make your own pouch) and just buy the humidifying packets.

Last edited:
YMMV but once winter's heating season ends, I don't worry about humidity anymore.

Here in coastal CT, the summer gets ridiculously humid, but with the AC on, the indoor humidity has never gotten high enough for long enough to cause damage to any of my stringed instruments.

For example - I have an older uke with a small crack on the back. I was able to close that crack completely only by putting the uke in a sealed plastic bag with a damp sponge and a dampit in the soundhole.

Otherwise, even in the height of summer, I've never seen that crack close up completely.. though it does shrink in summer.

If we didn't have AC, then I'd pay more attention to it but...

Is high humidity going to damage a uke? I see the Hawaii chart, with the average getting as high as 80%. How will that affect a uke negatively? I'm much more worried about 20% humidity here in the Northeast US in winter, than the occasional 60-70% in summer. I've had instruments in my basement in summer with 70-75% humidity. Sure they sucked up some moisture and went sharp, with cracks closing, but never noticed anything other than that.

Top Bottom