C string going sharp

mazian

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just started playing the ukulele and recently got my first uke, a Kumu TF72G.
Since I'm a lefty, the store restrung it for me.
Now that the new strings have settled everything is fine, intonation is pretty much spot on across the fretboard, except for the c string, which goes about 5-10 ccs sharp on the 12th fret. Now I don't know if the store filed down the nut for the new place of the c string, but it sits a little bit higher than the other strings.
I checked the intonation when it was still strung for a right handed player and everything was fine.
I wondered if filing the nut down a bit a the c string could maybe fix the Intonation.

Thanks for your Help!

Does it go continually sharper as you move up the neck? In this case, you might not only have to file down the nut slot a bit, but also compensate the saddle, i.e. move the contact point of that string further away from the neck. Be careful not to go down too low, as you will risk buzzing. Good luck!

Yes, it goes sharper, starting at the 9th fret.
I will try that, thanks!
Can the strings themselfes affect Intonation to that degree? I have Aquila AGxAQ at the moment, but I have a few other types lying around, wanted to test which type I liked best. I Just noticed that the AGxAQ have the thickest C string gauge of all the strings I have.

Yes, the gauge of the string does affect intonation. A thicker string is more likely to go sharp and will therefore need more compensation. So you might be able to solve your issue by using a thinner string. After all, 5 cents isn't that much of a deviation.

Can the strings themselfes affect Intonation to that degree? I have Aquila AGxAQ at the moment, but I have a few other types lying around, wanted to test which type I liked best. I Just noticed that the AGxAQ have the thickest C string gauge of all the strings I have.

Yes, different strings will intonate differently. It's something I find frustrating about ukes. If only the C string is 5 to 10 cents out it would be more than acceptable to me.

Quick update if anyone is interested: I tried Aquila New Nylgut, D'Addario Graphtech and Martin Flourocarbon. The Graphtech were the worst intonation wise. The Martins seem to have the best intonation plus I like the sound. Funny thing though, the C is now a tiny bit flat, but only 4-5 ccs...

Actually, the C going a bit sharp fits with the Martin strings. If you look at Martin ukes, their bridge compensation is "backwards", in theory to match their own strings where the C behaves this way.

Top Bottom