Jumping in with both feet

captain_hug99

Reaction score
Hello there!

I'm an elementary music teacher in Colorado. I recently went to a conference and heard something that has truly stuck with me. The presenter was talking about students that learn the recorder, use the recorder for however long the teacher teaches it, then it isn't played again. But the ukulele, is a life-long instrument.

I'm a woodwind player, but I've taken two summers of Teaching Guitar Workshop.

I found this site while looking up instruments to purchase for my classroom.

Welcome. My story is I played guitar for almost fifty years, but not totally dedicated to it. Then 4 1/2 years ago I took up the ukulele. I haven't touched my guitars since and have put in more dedication so far then I did in a good 20 years for the guitar.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
The ukulele is a truly wonderful instrument.

Recorders have their place but I prefer the tin whistle.
I think these types of instruments are good for teaching people how to read sheet music.

Way to go!

We've found that the Kala Music Company, Luna Guitars and Ukuleles, and Ohana Ukuleles have been very approachable about donating ukes to causes like yours.

We're working to begin a school music program in one of our counties. We'll get ukes donated then hold "Teach the teacher" workshops. If you have any suggestions to make a smooth path, please let us know.

Best of luck!

Hello there!

I'm an elementary music teacher in Colorado. I recently went to a conference and heard something that has truly stuck with me. The presenter was talking about students that learn the recorder, use the recorder for however long the teacher teaches it, then it isn't played again. But the ukulele, is a life-long instrument.

I'm a woodwind player, but I've taken two summers of Teaching Guitar Workshop.

I found this site while looking up instruments to purchase for my classroom.

And, unlike the recorder, there's almost no risk of having someone pass out. ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Way to go!

We've found that the Kala Music Company, Luna Guitars and Ukuleles, and Ohana Ukuleles have been very approachable about donating ukes to causes like yours.

We're working to begin a school music program in one of our counties. We'll get ukes donated then hold "Teach the teacher" workshops. If you have any suggestions to make a smooth path, please let us know.

Best of luck!

Thank you!!!

Top Bottom