Jake Shimabukuro Ukulele Strap

experimentjon

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been around for a while, but I was excited to see that Jake had officially released an official version of the famous custom strap that he's used on his instruments for years. At $60, it seems a bit expensive for a nylon strap, but still very cool.

JS_-_UKE_STRAP_1024x1024@2x.png

https://jakeshimabukuro.colortestme...es/products/custom-ukulele-strap-japan-import

That looks really nice.

One thing that concerns me is that there seems to be no padding on the inside of the hook nor on the metal plate, and I would worry that it would scratch the finish.

For that price, the lack of such seems like a glaring oversight to me.

I wonder how you could affix something to compensate...

I won’t use a strap like that either....I only use a guitar style strap so I can let go of the uke and know it’s not going anywhere.

For $60, they could've made it leather or given it a cool design or something. And who want Jakes initials embossed on your uke strap? "JS" means nothing to the average person, just looks like you stole it or bought someone else's used strap.

Look for these to be on clearance soon.

I think that if you perform for an audience you should ask yourself why Jake uses this type of strap.

He spoke about the strap at a concert in MA. He said he was getting pain in his left shoulder, and that simple strap seemed like a good solution. No more pain.

I don't like straps that hook into the sound hole, and as others have pointed out, there's no padding inside that piece that rests on the top of the uke.

Wouldn't work for me. I tried a hook style strap years ago and it noticeably deadened the resonance of the top of my uke. Don't like the look of this one either.

On the other hand, if it made me play like Jake I'd be happy to try one. Sadly it'd take more than a magic strap to achieve that...

IMG_1752.jpg

Bump to the top.

Funny enough, I googled to see if there were any reviews of the Jake strap and this post I made in excitement several years ago showed up. I don't use straps when I play since I'm usually doing it seated, so I actually didn't end up buying one--plus it was indeed expensive at $60...now $79.99 + shipping. Woo inflation!

But when I saw one for sale here on UU at a very fair price, I figured I'd try it out since it matches an ukulele that I picked up in the intervening period...

What's good
  • Jake Shimabukuro cool factor
  • No drilling needed
  • Doesn't look like a regular strap that is too big for a small ukulele--admittedly quite unique and stylish
  • Feels very stable when you're holding the uke--hooks in well
  • Quick detach to put away
  • Small and fits in the interior compartment of a Kamaka case along with a tuner
What's not good
  • Materials do not feel premium - nylon webbing is just utilitarian and the metal hook piece doesn't exude any more quality than an aluminum can
  • Not particularly comfortable for me--it's a bunch of weight around your neck with a not-particularly-high quality piece of nylon. Almost feel like Flava-Flav
  • No soft backing behind soundhole hook and could potentially leave scratches...enough to make you concerned
  • Don't let go of your instrument! Does not offer full handsfree mobility--if you're lucky it may still catch and hold your as it flips forward and down, but I'm not brave enough to test it...
  • Overall doesn't inspire confidence that your instrument will be protected; however, Jake has used these for years, so it must be good once you get used to it
  • $80 price tag...no getting around it...if $60 was expensive a few years ago, inflation pushing it to $80 is very rich...there are a lot of strap options + button installs in that range, including a $30 soundhole-style alternative by DAddario
Anyway, this one is a keeper as a nice collectible in the set. I don't see myself using it much...but if one day I need a strap at an open mic or something, this one is actually the coolest ukulele strap I can think of.

Jake learned to play his ukulele without a strap. He is always holding his ukulele carefully when he is playing, even with the strap. The strap is only to take some weight off his shoulders when he is rapping between songs during his concerts. His concerts are 2 hours straight with no intermission.

I just received one of these as an extra item to sweeten the deal when I bought a new ukulele.

Perhaps moleskin, or even some electrical tape around the inside edge of the metal plate should eliminate any potential for scratching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom