What did you do to your Uke today?

UkerDanno

Reaction score
I cleaned and restrung my Kanile'a with Living Water high G strings. When I re-string, I always remove all the strings and give the whole instrument a wipe down with lemon oil, especially the fretboard. Wiping the excess off immediately from satin type finishes because it's probably not real good to let it soak in too much.

IMG_20170122_123005637~2.jpgIMG_20170122_123027707~3.jpgIMG_20170122_123052715~2.jpgIMG_20170122_123123814~2.jpgIMG_20170122_130716064~2.jpg

Last edited:
I called Gold Tone and they walked me through and adjustment that got rid of the buzz in my resouke - and now it is brighter and louder as well.

Snowing all day today & I'm not at work....so.....lots of time to sit and play. I haven't played my Islander AS-4 soprano a lot recently. Too busy playing my Loprinzi and my Gary Gill that I got at Christmas time. I got "Turtle" out and played him all morning. I had forgotten how nice this soprano sounds. Turtle got lots of love & attention today.

I wonder if anyone else is as lazy about changing strings as I am. I wait until they break or shred. Hate to waste time that I could spend playing. Been about a year for me. LOL

bratsche

It was almost 70 degrees here today! What??? Should be snowing this time of year, but I'll take it! In honor of this brief February summer, I played my Ukulele Like Object (ULO), because it has a fish painted on it.

Fish = summer.

Noticed the fretboard was dry dry dry. So I lemon-oiled it.

That's what I did. :)

72 degrees here, after flooding on Friday and snow on Saturday. Sat outside and played my OXK.

This isn't exactly what I did to my uke, but I used it today to test a small cart that has a chair attached, which I'll be using on Sundays for a Meetup of acoustic players in park. I was putting on my back a dual compartment gig bag with uke in one, a tablet and stand stand in the other, and carrying a small folding chair, but I have a heart condition and I found it a little difficult to lug that weight on me, so I got the cart. The seat is small but more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Chair cart front 600.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

I wonder if anyone else is as lazy about changing strings as I am. I wait until they break or shred. Hate to waste time that I could spend playing. Been about a year for me. LOL

bratsche

I'm with you in that. While I don't have such a long experience with ukulele, with nylon strings in guitar I have never changed until one breaks or a serious shread on a wound string.
After I bought my ukulele, did change after about a month, cause did not like the idea of someone elses fingers been on my strings and anyways after a store bought instrument.

I did file the nut slots somewhat lower without taking the strings off/change them, but don't seem to have done any noticeable damage to my Aquilaa nylguts.

I'd estimate without something crazy like bending guitar like, using (metal) picks, unwound strings surely will last a year easy.

EDIT:
I did practice chord sequences in many keys today just before posting this.

...to test a small cart that has a chair attached..

That looks really helpful. Can you share a link to the source? Thank you.

bratsche

I don't wait until they break, but until the instrument starts getting weird about sound or tuning which seems to be almost until they break or have a visible deformity. If i have to tune too frequently or the sound keeps being off, that sucker is getting new strings. I actually dislike putting new on because then i will def have to be bothered to tune and re-tune; and stretch strings for a week or more depending on which uke it is.

Yesterday, I changed the awful sounding Factory strings on my Pono PC Concert to Oasis bright low G. It sounded great. It gave new life to this misunderstood Concert of mine. Today I haven't even picked up any Uke yet. I'd better stop typing and go play now.

I picked up my daily player at bedside, and worked on ear-training from a Disney song playing on Alexa, lol.

Not much playing today, but took the plunge and removed the guitar-style tuners from my Mele concert, replacing them with Gotoh UPTs. A wonderful improvement, although annoyingly there's now a buzz on the C string. Ah well, fixing that will have to wait for another night.

IMG_20180221_192815_881.jpg IMG_20180221_192825_744.jpg

Also removed the awful headstock logo. Looks much better.

Restrung 3 ukuleles. Tenor uke with Living Waters custom dGBE strings, concert uke with Living Waters and a soprano with Martin fluorocarbon strings
Then played the hell out of them...loving the baritone sound coming out of tenor 😃

bratsche

When I get a new uke, I often change the strings fairly quickly because I prefer fluorocarbon strings to the Nylgut or similar that normally come as standard.

After that, I will leave them until they really need changing. I've only once had a string break and that was on a soprano I kept tuning between C and D tuning. I retuned it up once to often. Otherwise I periodically feel along under the strings to see if they're getting rough. When it becomes bad, that's time to change them.

Put Aquila GCEA strings on this old baritone I got a few weeks ago for $20. Also, a Daddario classic wound low G string as recommended by Southern Ukulele store. Sounds big and boomy! I also ordered some Grover geared tuners, but the headstock is 1/2" thick, so they wouldn't work. I had a takeoff set from a Dolphin that had a longer shaft, so I used them, they're not the best, but they work, not sure whether to put much money into this thing since it's not really my thing, I don't even like tenor size! I would sell it, I have about $50 into it.

IMG_20180222_094730122.jpgIMG_20180222_094800168.jpgIMG_20180222_094746318.jpg

Top Bottom