Is it cheating or smart?

lifereinspired

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm new to the uke and have so many questions I want to ask! Rather than making a mamoth long post that no one wants to read through, I'll take more time and post them separately.

I've been working hard to practice and learn chords as well as learning to switch back and forth in time with the song without an awkward pause in between. I'm particularly working on G (0232) and Em (0432) with the 3 fingered chord using index, mid, & ring. I've learned that one can simply play the C string on 4th fret with your pinkie coming from the chord of G in order to not have to move everything (which part of me likes) but it feels kind of like cheating. I can't decide if it's playing smart or cheating. Is there one "right way" to play? Is it smart to develop multiple ways to play something now so I'll learn to change things up as I get better or am I developing bad habits that will be a pain to break later on?

Thanks so much in advance! So grateful for this incredible community! :)

I think it's genius! I've been playing for 10 years and have never come across that one. G to Em is so common, and i have always found it awkward. I just tried it with I-vi-ii-V progression (G-Em-Am-D) and it was super smooth.

Still, to continue improving, it is important to practice chord changes that require full lifting and replacing of the fingers. It just happens way too much to avoid.

What I suggest is learning chords and notes in their common positions, and using other fingerings when it becomes more efficient to do so.

Generally, C is generally played with the third finger because it is on the third fret, and when you play single notes in the first position, each finger is mapped to a fret...first finger first fret, second finger second fret, and so on.

This is also why A minor is generally played with the second finger, and C7 is generally played with the first finger.

Going from G to Em (0232 to 0432) can also be done by keeping the G shape and adding the pinky to the 4th fret of the 3rd string.

So, in summary, the established fingering on the ukulele reflects many years of real life experience (if there was a better way to play chords, someone would have said something), but most importantly, the ukulele is about efficency.

Learn C as 0003, played with the third finger (ring), and be able to do so on command. However, if you find that it is easier to play 0003 with the pinky in a particular transition...do so.

If it sounds right then it's probably OK (in the context of the specific tune) ... if it sounds right and it's easy then it's definitely OK ;)

There are no "hard and fast" rules, just guidelines. A lot can depend on your hand size and instrument size as to how easy or difficult any specific chord or chord sequence is.

Go for it! Develop your own style and be an individual :music:

Another way to smooth out G to Em is to play the G as a 3/4 barre with the middle finger playing the G on the E string. Then you just use the ring finger to play the E on the C string to make the Em.

I think it is smart! It makes it so easy to move from Em to G and vice versa. I found it harder to hit the Em as a 3 finger chord, I'd always have to pause a bit to think about it and find the chord that way. The G shape is easy and automatic to me so it makes much more sense to me to just add the pinky to make the Em. Thus the 4 finger Em is almost as automatic and easy as the G.

I tend to agree with Choirguy. As a person moves into more complex chords, fingerpicking and solos, it's important to be able to move around the fretboard efficiently. That entails having the correct finger in position for moving to the next chord or sound.

C and Em are relatively easy chords; it's just a matter of practice and muscle memory. There's no rules; I use different fingers for chording the same chord all the time; it depends where I'm going next on the fretboard. Learn the basics correctly and the advanced ones will come more easily. Main thing is to have fun and play however you choose.

I tend to agree with Choirguy. As a person moves into more complex chords, fingerpicking and solos, it's important to be able to move around the fretboard efficiently. That entails having the correct finger in position for moving to the next chord or sound.

C and Em are relatively easy chords; it's just a matter of practice and muscle memory. There's no rules; I use different fingers for chording the same chord all the time; it depends where I'm going next on the fretboard. Learn the basics correctly and the advanced ones will come more easily. Main thing is to have fun and play however you choose.

I kinda disagree here. I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced" but Em when played 0432 with the ring, middle, index is very awkward for many, especially when played in context, often after C or G.

Whatever makes the music come out.

Playing the ukulele isn't a sport. There are no rules. Therefore there is no cheating. I've been known to do this when a quick change is necessary. However, I find that my hand gets tired if I hold the Em too long, so I only do it if I really need to.

I agree there is no cheating i music. Unless you're lip playing/syncing haha ;)

So no matter how you're doing your chord shape or fingering - the important thing is to be able to execute it without thinking. For me what helped me the most for perfecting chord shapes is doing James Hill drill where you count 8 beats. On the first beat you hit the chord, and the other beats you are slapping your knee with your chord hand. I did this for about a week straight with what i found to be very hard chords for me - Ebdim. Now I can play Kiyoshi Kobayashi On the Sunny Side of the Street arrangement without any issue after three months of play,......

if you want to be a chord machine I suggest playing jazz arrangements as the majority of the chords have no open strings :p

What I suggest is learning chords and notes in their common positions, and using other fingerings when it becomes more efficient to do so.

Generally, C is generally played with the third finger because it is on the third fret, and when you play single notes in the first position, each finger is mapped to a fret...first finger first fret, second finger second fret, and so on.

This is also why A minor is generally played with the second finger, and C7 is generally played with the first finger.

Going from G to Em (0232 to 0432) can also be done by keeping the G shape and adding the pinky to the 4th fret of the 3rd string.

So, in summary, the established fingering on the ukulele reflects many years of real life experience (if there was a better way to play chords, someone would have said something), but most importantly, the ukulele is about efficency.

Learn C as 0003, played with the third finger (ring), and be able to do so on command. However, if you find that it is easier to play 0003 with the pinky in a particular transition...do so.

I'd go further and say, forget the idea of mapping fingers to frets. That's not important. What is important is making an easy transition to the next chord.

Suppose I play the sequence C Am Dm7 G7, 0003 2003 2213 0212. Then it's obvious to use my little finger (pinkie) for the C chord, as I can keep it there until the G7.

But another song goes C Am7 Em Am7, which I finger 0003 0453 0432 0453. Here it's obvious to play C using my index finger.

So I'd say there is no standard way to play any chord, but there is a best way for that particular part of the song. Find that best way and do it like that!

I've been working hard to practice and learn chords as well as learning to switch back and forth in time with the song without an awkward pause in between.

OK, this is the most important lesson I can teach you.

The "awkward" pause has NOTHING to do with moving your fretting hand, its ALL to do with your strumming/picking hand. The lesson is this, the Strumming/picking hand, NEVER drops the rhythm, no matter what, never.
If the fretting hand hasn't caught up then too bad, so sad, the beat keeps moving on. You just hit a damped note and keep on going.
The strumming/picking hand, NEVER waits for the fretting hand.

Fingerings: whatever works. In the context of a given tune, certain fingerings will work better than others. Use what works for you! There is no "cheating" per se, only optimizing your movements.

Thanks everyone. Great information. I'm learning a lot about the uke, and maybe wider metaphors for life as well. :)

It seems like some of the main takeaways for me is that the uke is about efficiency. Learning to play chords in different ways will serve me best, so I can play the easiest/most efficient way for whatever a particular song needs. Playing more efficiently is smart, not cheating. ;) Playing an instrument should be fun and enjoyable and while learning good habits will help in the long run, don't be too worried about hard and fast rules. Being more efficient will make playing easier, more fun, and often different as a result, which will help keep one increasingly motivated.

So, I need to just keep playing and working at it.

OK, this is the most important lesson I can teach you.

The "awkward" pause has NOTHING to do with moving your fretting hand, its ALL to do with your strumming/picking hand. The lesson is this, the Strumming/picking hand, NEVER drops the rhythm, no matter what, never.
If the fretting hand hasn't caught up then too bad, so sad, the beat keeps moving on. You just hit a damped note and keep on going.
The strumming/picking hand, NEVER waits for the fretting hand.

I've just started beginning to grasp this yesterday. I realized that it was my right hand that was actually pausing when I would get mixed up on a particular chord. This makes sense that it's one of the most important lessons that I can learn. Thank you SO much for sharing this and for explaining it so clearly. :)

I've just started beginning to grasp this yesterday. I realized that it was my right hand that was actually pausing when I would get mixed up on a particular chord. This makes sense that it's one of the most important lessons that I can learn. Thank you SO much for sharing this and for explaining it so clearly. :)

I'm glad that I could help.

If your still learning the song and the fingerings then your still learning the song. Stuff happens. When your playing/performing the song however then the rhythm is the leader and everything else follows. You will be surprised what mistakes you can get away with if you keep the rhythm going. If the rhythm stops then your cooked.

I change the way a chord is fingered depending on which chord I'm going from or going to. Having multiple ways to finger the same chord just gives you more options, not cheating at all.

I'm glad that I could help.

If your still learning the song and the fingerings then your still learning the song. Stuff happens. When your playing/performing the song however then the rhythm is the leader and everything else follows. You will be surprised what mistakes you can get away with if you keep the rhythm going. If the rhythm stops then your cooked.

Totally agree, rhythm is most important. Still, clean chord changes sound...well, clean :)

Top Bottom