metronome

ripock

Reaction score
I've been craving some variety with my metronome work and I am wondering what you folks do in this regard. I normally use my metronome in these ways:

1. use it to practice transitioning chords
2. use it to practice modes (playing a note every beat or two 1/8 notes per beat)
3. use it to keep time in my clawhammer practice
4. use it as my "drummer" to keep time as I play stuff

Any suggestions?

One great way to use a metronome is to improve technical ability and speed. Take a spot in the music or technique, play it slowly and 100% accurately and then very gradually move the speed up, never moving on until you can play it completely fluently and comfortably. You can make a lot of progress in this fashion.

I'm a big fan of on-beat, off-beat practicing. Not necessarily playing on the uke, but tapping/clapping exercises. https://liveukulele.com/lessons/metronome-timing-practice/

For your modes practice I'd slow down the tempo and play a triplet on each click. Playing odd stuff forces you to improve way faster.

Same for song practice. Don't just follow the click four on the floor. Put it slow and play every other beat or one beat per bar (move the click around for different feels). I forces you to keep stronger time between the larger gaps.

I recently bought a Digitech Trio Band Creator pedal to add some bass and drum to our strumming. An added benefit is that the drum beat acts much like a metronome but a lot more interest to your playing. Approx $40 at Sweetwater. I'm having a bunch of fun with it while it forces me to work harder on my cadence.

Top Bottom