Helping out a Newb

SA Condor

Reaction score
I’m looking for suggestions from those of you that have owned/played multiple brands/makers and from those that may be aware of some great deals be it new, used, or seconds/blems.

Here’s some background info. I’ve played classical guitar for 20 years, so a ‘wide’ neck is not a bad thing for me. I’m 6’2”, so I’m thinking possibly a Concert but leaning heavily towards a Tenor. Here’s where it gets tough. Since I’m new to this instrument, my wife is absolutely NOT behind me paying more for a nicer instrument :(, so $200 +/- a little is where I’m stuck for now. Ultimately, sound reigns supreme for me. Sure, we all love pretty looking instruments, but that means nothing to me as much as how the instrument sounds and resonates. Just because something can be load doesn’t mean it sounds good while doing it :D

There are exactly ZERO Ukuleles I can try out here in Bolivia, so I’m looking to those of you that have experienced these instruments. Sure, I’d love to get a higher end instrument with an amazing sweet tone to it, but unless any of you know of a steal of a deal, that’s not happening at this stage in my life.

So help me out here! I’ve found a Tenor Mainland second in mahogany that falls in that price range, a Tenor Kumu in mahogany, and also a Tenor Islander in Acacia in that price range. Out of those, can anyone say one is the clear leader in beautiful tone and resonance? What other suggestions do you have in that meager price range?

Anyone know of any amazing deals on a nicer mid-range or have one they want to sell me :cool:

Is there a sting case for me to be looking more at the Concert size and not just the Tenors?

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your input.

As you already play a stringed instrument, any size you like will be suitable for you, (but I always recommend a concert scale as a beginner uke).

The Mainland & Islander I've heard good things about on here from other members, I know nothing about Kumu.

My personal recommendations for a first time buyer are usually Kala or Ohana, I have experience of both makes, & they are good ukes at sensible prices.

(I also have experience of Baton Rouge too, which I also like).

If you are thinking of buying ukes for your girls (other thread), I'd suggest concert scale for them.

Hope this is of some help to you. :)

When I started reading your post the names "Mainland" and "Islander" popped into my head. When I got to the end and you listed those two options it was perfect. Do you have a chance to play both? If so, I would try them and see which one you like better. If not, I would see if you can hear and see them, then go with your gut as to which one you think you would like better. They are both good brands that produce really nice instruments. I know the Islander has a 1 1/2" wide nut, but am not sure on the Mainland. I have owned both and found them both extremely comfortable to play.

As for concert/tenor, honestly that is going to depend on you. The ukes you list as available and in your price range are all tenors. Are there any concerts to try? The main difference in playing them is the fret spacing and the string tension. A tenor has further space and higher tension. As a classical guitar player I don't think that will bother you. The tension bothers me, so I prefer concert.

If you are thinking of buying ukes for your girls (other thread), I'd suggest concert scale for them.

That’s good food for thought. I was leaning towards inexpensive Sopranos for them because they are only 10 and 12 years old. If either of them show a real aptitude and passion for the instrument, then I can upgrade them and pass the Sopranos on the my 5 and 1 year olds.

Do you have a chance to play both? . . . I know the Islander has a 1 1/2" wide nut, but am not sure on the Mainland. I have owned both and found them both extremely comfortable to play.

As for concert/tenor, honestly that is going to depend on you. The ukes you list as available and in your price range are all tenors. Are there any concerts to try? The main difference in playing them is the fret spacing and the string tension. A tenor has further space and higher tension. As a classical guitar player I don't think that will bother you. The tension bothers me, so I prefer concert.

I wish is did have access to some Ukes. It would at the very least help me decide on the size. However, I do not know of anyone here in Bolivia that sells Ukuleles. My plan is to buy online and have them waiting for me this summer. It is looking like my family will be traveling back to the USA for a brief visit to my ailing father. I’ll get the Ukes then.

I think the wider neck would be nice, but a regular neck isn’t a deal breaker either. Speaking of that, I know that neither of these are in my pitiful little price range, but man do I like the looks of the Koaloha Opios and the Ponos. Has anyone ever seen a decent one of those sold used in my price range?

The Mainland will be solid wood, for possibly better tone. The Islander is laminate, tone usually not as good as solid, but the Islander has the wider nut. If you can deal with the narrower nut of the Mainland, I'd take the potentially better tone of a solid uke every time.

I’ve got an old laminate Classical guitar that I bought here in Bolivia that sounds amazing. It only cost me $75 back in 2002, but don’t judge a book by its cover! That thing can sing with the best of them. I have a handmade concert classical guitar (also made in Bolivia and a lot more costly then $75!) made of solid wood and it definitely is the superior instrument, but every time I play that $75 guitar, I’m reminded to not overlook a good laminate!

I have the Islander AT-4, laminate acacia. very plain but with a beautiful tone and grain. It is one of my favorite ukes, and I play it as much as my Koaloha and more than my Martin. I don't know if they are all this good, but I think I paid about $150 for it and it is worth twice that to me. I used to have a Mainland, and they are prettier, but I don't remember much else about it.

Where are you going in the US? If you just need to determine the right size for you there are places like Guitar Center all over the country. They carry ukes in various sizes you can try. Once you decide on size you can buy somewhere that sells a better uke for the money.

Mims Ukes ships world wide with a full set up.

I have the Islander AT-4, laminate acacia. very plain but with a beautiful tone and grain. It is one of my favorite ukes, and I play it as much as my Koaloha and more than my Martin. I don't know if they are all this good, but I think I paid about $150 for it and it is worth twice that to me. I used to have a Mainland, and they are prettier, but I don't remember much else about it.

That’s good to know. I was trying to see if my wife would let me bump the budget up a little but she’s not budging, so this remains one of my better options.

Where are you going in the US? If you just need to determine the right size for you there are places like Guitar Center all over the country. They carry ukes in various sizes you can try. Once you decide on size you can buy somewhere that sells a better uke for the money.

I’ll be mainly in the Hartford, CT area. I don’t even own one yet and I’m NOWHERE near anyone that has Ukes, but it seems as though UAS has hit me . . . I’ve been kind of obsessed looking and looking :iwant: now! LOL

Mims Ukes ships world wide with a full set up.

Not a bad idea if I were in almost any other country in the world! Customs here is more crooked then a switchback trail climbing a mountain . . . That and literally today I woke up to news that by Presidential decree there is no more Post Office. They were all permanently closed. They’ve been barricaded by riot police and the workers went to work this morning only to find out they are unemployed. So, I’ll just wait till I come home to the USA this summer for a few weeks.

I already bought a couple Ukes for my girls from Mim and they’re waiting for us at my brother’s house. I have time. I’d like to get the absolute best bang for the buck. I’ve been monitoring the Marketplace closely. After much reasearch, I’d LOVE to find a used Pono concert uke for sale, but I just don’t know that I’ll see one around $200 in the next few months.

Top Bottom