Strumming and Picking on Sopraninos and Sopranissimo

Regmon

Reaction score
Just recently became a fan of the mini's like Sopraninos and Sopranissimos. Anyone addicted to these as well? I'm wondering if you find it more comfortable picking or strumming on these little guys. I'm finding myself strumming with my thumb and occasionally picking. I would love to hear your experience and styles.
I recently picked up the Ohana O'Nina and Ohana PK-70G

I have a sopranino ukulele (Ohana SK 21-M). I tuned it in D. I know a couple of instrumentals (Irish tunes)
that I fingerpick on it. I strum mostly (occasionally pick and strum a bit, like in ``Norwegian Wood'', between verses,
or just play the melody).
I find the Dm chord tricky at times.
Depending on the song or the tune, I play the soprano (Martin S1, tuned gCEA) or the sopranino.
It's a fun instrument to play. How big is your sopranissimo?
I heard of mini ukuleles (look impossible to play) but not this one.

I too have the Ohana SK-21, its a cute lil guy.. I'll go back and tune it in D to see how that works. I was told to tune it G#,C#,F,A# or A,D,F#,B. Although both sound abit odd when playing with tutorial videos but i stick with the A,D,F#,B.
My sopranissimos are 17" total.

When I saw the new Ohana Sopranissimo Pineapple, I had to buy it...and ordered it moments after Mim put them up on her Reverb website.

I have it tuned to D6 (as Mim suggests), although I have also heard that you can drive the tuning higher.

The challenge is in playing with others...C becomes Bb, F becomes Eb, G7 becomes F7, etc. I wish there were strings that would allow for tuning in C for this reason only.

That all said, I really like this little ukulele (it’s the all mahogany model), and it won’t be the last Ohana that I own.

I have a vintage camp uke sopranino with D'adarrio titanium strings tuned CFAD.

One of the main reasons I bought my sopranino was for traveling.
As this one is even smaller, I was tempted at first. But I must say I was put off
by the too big headstock. I wish Ohana had kept the friction tuners.

But I must say I was put off
by the too big headstock. I wish Ohana had kept the friction tuners.
This is something I was happy about with the Kala Pocket uke. I picked up a B-stock mahogany model a while ago (ex-display, I suspect) and the proportions seem right to me, decently balanced without an oversized headstock. And friction tuners! Much nicer than having to fit them myself.

I'm very much a strummer, especially on this instrument. It's tuned cFAD and has a surprisingly decent tone for the money.

Hey Regmon, please forgive if I seem to be sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but I'm thinking that when VonBiber made reference to tuning his SK-21 to "D" he was referring to "aDF#B" (that is, one full step higher than "standard"). So, if you already have your SK-21 in "aDF#B", you'd be considered to have it in "D tuning". Just didn't want you to try cranking that 4th string way up and having it break on you. Again, sorry to look like a "mister-know-it-all", but just thought a clarification might be in order, with full realization that you're already on top of this! -Bill

Top Bottom