Need String Advice

NoyBoy98

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Been really getting into ukulele lately and finally bought my own (was using a loaner at first). I got the Kala KA-STG Tenor linked here:

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-stg-solid-spruce-top-tenor-gloss.html

I had a family member pick it up for me while they were in Hawaii and it now resides with me here in California.

I'm looking for advice on strings for this uke. In the loaner I was using (Ko'Aloha Brand, Soprano), I was using Aquila Nylgut strings and really liked them. They felt really soft. When I got my Kala, the strings felt really "stiff" or "hard" to me. Not knowing that the uke came stock with Aquila strings, I went and purchased another set of Aquila strings, and again, the strings feel "stiff" or "hard". Fretting at the first fret is a bit uncomfortable.

I brought my uke into a local shop and played it side by side with less expensive ukes (both popular and no-name brands) with the same Aquila strings, and they all felt soft, like they did on the Ko'Aloha uke I started with. Even the shop owner said my strings didn't feel like Aquila's normally do.

So did I get a bad pack of strings? Are Aquila strings just not good on my Kala?

I've been looking at other string brands after doing some research online, and I like how the Oasis and Fremont Black strings sound (very bell-like). I've never tried fluorocarbon before. Are they more comfortable? This is really bugging me since Aquilas feel nice on every uke except mine. I've taken the action down on my Kala, and even the local shop owner said he'd feel bad about charging me for a setup because all he thinks it needs is for the saddle to be shaved down about 1mm, which I can do myself.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

The longer the scale length, the higher the string tension needs to be. I don't like Nylgut strings, so I changed mine immediately. Fremont Blacklines are really nice and should feel like there's less tension. IMO, they sound better too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'm trying to look for some Fremont Blacks but ukulele site seems to be the only one that carries them and they're sold out. Anyone know of an online retailer that I can purchase these strings from? I will also try the Martins.

Also, since I'll be on this journey of trying out strings, is it okay to take a set off the uke then put it back on? Or are the strings not viable anymore after removing them?

I like to suggest the Martin 620s simply because they are cheap and available everywhere. If you like them, there are many rabbit holes to go down in terms of fluorocarbon strings (Worth, Living Water, etc. Even DR is selling some fluorocarbon ukulele strings). But that basic 620 formula is pretty solid and representative of what you’ll get from other fluorocarbon strings—and then you can decide whether you want to go that way or other directions.

At this point, if you can get them, you might also want to try the new Aquila Sugar Strings, which have positive reviews (although some have reported a texture on them), but they bridge a world between fluorocarbon and nylon, so it seems.

Not entirely true. There are low tension design like Southcoast and there's always the trick of tuning down. I highly recommend the practice on tenor anyway - Bb for the win!

Yes, sorry. I should have been more precise and said something like, "For a given set of strings at a given tuning, tension will be higher as scale length increases." I was typing on my phone where it's really hard to see what I'm typing. Should have waited till I was at my computer! :)

Top Bottom