We are looking for ukulele volunteers that are working in distress contests

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Hi guys,
how are you? :)
I do not know if this is the right place for this post, however I need your help.
Aquila strings is looking for social or volunteer/professionists workers in which the ukulele is used in hospitals, prisons and adolescent distress sectors.

During the Aquila Ukulele Festival 2018 there will be a discussion forum about the social function of the ukulele; if you know someone who can come and talk (or any organization) at our Aquila Ukulele Festival 2018 (from the 13th till the 15th of July) please let us know.

Thank you very much,
Mimmo Aquilastrings, Italy

Mimmo, this seems a great idea to me and I think that you’re asking in the right place here, or rather I think that you are asking in one of the right places here. Are the there Continental European language forums (French, German, Italian) where you could also ask the same question? If so then their members will likely find it much easier to come to speak at your event, etc.

I haven’t heard of the Uke being used much here, in the U.K., in the situations that you list. However I can bring to mind lower level activity that is socially beneficial. A friend is in a group that plays every week at a Cancer patient support centre, helping to raise people’s spirits, and the Uke Club I play in both donates its profits to various Charities and plays at old folks homes, etc. Just running a Uke Club is socially beneficial too in that it brings music and social interaction to its members, but again that’s below the level that you’re looking for.

It will be interesting to hear how and where the Uke is used for Social good.

Last edited:
thanks Graham,
English language is fine. Actually it is a few years that we are doing this job but it is nothing but easy. The problem is to collect people that has real experience and then ables to share it, during the festival, with others.
I would like to do a better job but it is hard to manage a company with 25 collaborators etc etc and, at the same time, have time for this project.
But this do not mean that I give up. ah ah
thanks
Mimmo

I've read of many people in the USA who do this work.
It might be possible to do a video conference?

Absolutely Mimmo. The Ukulele Kids Club is an organization started by Corey Bergman in Florida after his son passed away. They provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs to give to the children as a form of therapy to get them through the difficulties they face. It's gaining a great deal of traction and has moved to other countries as well. Corey has done TED talks so he has experience. https://www.theukc.org

Just recently Ukulele Eddie here on UU spearheaded a fund raiser by having six very prominent luthiers build custom ukuleles to auction, with the proceeds going to The UKC, $100,000. https://www.luthiersforacause.org

The senior ukulele group I'm with, The CC Strummers, donates regularly to The UKC for ukes to go to UCLA/Mattel Children's Hospital and we perform every few weeks going room to room, giving the ukes to the children.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 3 acoustic bass ukes, 8 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. http://.www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: https://www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Last edited:
Ciao Mimmo! Let’s Talk!

Ciao Mimmo!

I believe that I can help you here. Francesco Albertazzi contacted you about me. Mike Hater from Mainland Ukes also sent me the link to this post because he knew I could assist you on your panel. I would love to discuss this further. Please reach me at lbcolosimo@aol.com and we can go from there!

Ciao e Grazie,
Lynette Colosimo Jolicoeur

Hi guys,
how are you? :)
I do not know if this is the right place for this post, however I need your help.
Aquila strings is looking for social or volunteer/professionists workers in which the ukulele is used in hospitals, prisons and adolescent distress sectors.

During the Aquila Ukulele Festival 2018 there will be a discussion forum about the social function of the ukulele; if you know someone who can come and talk (or any organization) at our Aquila Ukulele Festival 2018 (from the 13th till the 15th of July) please let us know.

Thank you very much,
Mimmo Aquilastrings, Italy

Top Bottom