StewMac tools in Europe

Parto

Reaction score
FYI - in Europe you can now get StewMac tools from Madinter so don't have to pay the exorbitant import duties. Done a couple of spot checks and prices including VAT look broadly the same.

Last edited:
Noticed on their site they also have a guide to CITES, and how it relates to EU countries.
(Head to bottom of page, under How To Buy, second item on list.)
h

FYI - in Europe you can now get StewMac tools from Madinter so don't have to pay the exorbitant import duties. Done a couple of spot checks and prices including VAT look broadly the same.

Don't get me wrong, I deal with StewMac and buy from them and I'm (mostly) satisfied, but the prices are steep even here in America. To put import duties on the already exorbitant prices would price them out of the market if I lived abroad. Such economic practices are called tariffs and inhibit free trade but there you are. There are rumors that once Great Britain leaves the EU tariffs with America will ease and prices will come down. Don't bet on it if you live in Wales. Prices will probably rise even higher.

As an aside, I have officially lost my "VIP" (or VIS or Very Important Sucker) status with StewMac as of March of 2018. It seems now that I don't spend enough money which is already ridiculous. I'm small fish and StewMac doesn't want to deal with me anymore. Now I must show proof I am a "real luthier" with a real website with a real clientele with a minimum sales quotient to qualify for my discounts. No more VIP status for hobbyist builders. Non of your business StewMac and you know what I say and I'm going to use a bad, bad word here: **** you StewMac. There are other vendors out there ready to fill the void.

Sorry. I just had to vent for a minute there. Hello LMI. Are you listening?

Tell lmi to bring back their awesome catalogue.. I really miss thumbing through it... Got an old one but its not the same looking for new stuff and current prices. Internet is ok for the purchase but the catalogue is good for the planning.

Top Bottom