Anyone tried the Aquila Sugar Strings?

well Jarmo, it is 20 years that I make and calculate strings so I have a bit of experience: dropping with the gauges (just a bit, not too much) do not change things how one can espect or suppose aconcerning the performances. You can recognize that the sound became a bit brighter and that the sustain became a bit longer but with less energy; generally speacking you can have a easier playing. With a thicker strings the sound is fuller, less sustain and more energy; 'generally speaking' is the rule here: some instrument want thicker strings, som other lighter gauges. So we give a try and see what happen there. In practice, if our sugar soprano 1st has .62 mm gauge and the concerto .65 I will do, for the concert a 63. Do your test: tune your ukulele a quarter of tone down so you can apreciate what happen about the tension.
Mimmo

Thank you mimmo, liked your knowledgeable reply.
Except about the last suggestion to try lol.
My nylguts are stable and keep their tone, but it is the same as with nylons. Once you change to a different tension, the what is left in the tuner parts start acting against. And then a lots of more tuning for a few days. So I never experiment with lowering or raising my tuning.

I was really much surprised with Ukulele Eddie's post #35 in this thread, telling been put some Oasis Brights on, leaving for a few hours and able to produce his recording. Maybe fluorocarbons are different in this I don't know.

Edited the post number.

Last edited:

Here's my comparison of Fremont Blackline vs Aquila Sugar. Please don't mind my playing. I've only been at this a few weeks, but I like to be helpful. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Interesting. I can definitely hear the difference. I think I prefer the sugars here too. The Blacklines aren't bad but the sugars have more "character"

I put these strings on a couple days ago and wasn't sure at first, but they are really growing on me. For the most part, the "squeak" has gone away. It was so bad at first that I almost took them straight off. They have also become more pliable/less stiff with play. I love the clarity and sustain. I have them on a concert, but am thinking these would be great to put on a soprano to get some extra sustain.

I love what Mimmo/Aquila are doing with strings. I think that these can be really great and am excited to hear that he already has plans for improvement.

More clarity with the Sugar Strings. I like them!

The more I play these, the more I think they are like fluorocarbons on steroids. Lovely ring and clarity, plenty of definition and volume.

Are the sugar strings noticeably harder than fluorocarbon strings?

For me, yes, they feel harder and slightly thicker than the strings I’ve tried (Martin, D’addario, Fremont Black, Oasis).

Hard to say. If they are it is certainly not bad. I find them very comfortable to play. I am using them on a soprano, so any effect may not be as noticeable as it might be on a larger instrument.

Last edited:
Absolutely. They are harder. Personally, I don’t like harder strings but some people prefer them.

Just curious, what strings do you find comfortable on a tenor? Right now I’m using Oasis warm, but while I love the tone, they’re still a little hard for me. Thinking of switching back to D’Addario. Experimented with concert strings but didn’t like the sound much.

Just curious, what strings do you find comfortable on a tenor? Right now I’m using Oasis warm, but while I love the tone, they’re still a little hard for me. Thinking of switching back to D’Addario. Experimented with concert strings but didn’t like the sound much.
Try the Southcoast "soft" formula, SLMU-NW or SMU-NW depending on your tension and tuning preference. http://southcoastukes.com/uku-nw.htm

The following are my current go-to’s:

Oasis Brights
Southcoast Light Mediums or Mediums
Aquila Carbonblacks

Strings by Mail got back to me today (I had e-mailed in January) as they just put the Sugar Strings in their system. I placed an order for Soprano, Concert, and Tenor strings today. A couple are back ordered, but that’s okay. I’m not in a hurry.

Mimmo, if you read this, is there a way to make a non-wound low set of Sugar strings? I might be weird about this, but I’m just not a fan of a wound string on a ukulele (I have a KoAloha with unwound Low G string from the factory, and Living Waters with a unwound low D on my cheap Lanikai Baritone—and yes, it was cheap—$35).

Ah! This is a great problem, man.
if I will do the unwound Sugar Low G a lot of people will be upset with me. I have done a certain production of single, spair sugar red low G that one, if want, can buy directly.
The Sugar Low G ar present uses wound strings.
I am very happy about these Sugar red low g: pratically all the 'haters' of the unwound low G that gived me an huge help testing the sample gave me a very positive rensponse. They work even for them
Mimmo

Hey guys, good news
I have done the job for those that mailed me as tester for Sugar sets with less tension.
I will do the expedition tonmorrow morning our local italian time.
I am curious to hear by the tester what they think switching to lighter gauges.
despite that I would like to remember two things:

1) it is a mistake to think that the standard Sugar has more tension than the fluorocarbon strings. All the fluorocarbon strings, except the Martin ones, has much more tension. Please do not confond a feel of tension than the real tension in Kg: it is a very diffeerent concept. Fluorocarbon strings are thinner so they can give the feel that they has less tension but it is not true at all.
2) The density of the sugar plastic is same of nylgut so the standard gauges hare exactly the same and produce the same tension of our common supernylgut/new nylgut sets

well waiting your tests guys
Mimmo

Top Bottom