Help deciding on a new Tenor. Cordoba 21T, 24T or Kala KA-STG

jricc

Reaction score
Hi, looking to step up a little...I would like a bright sounding uke that will project. Budget is $200.

The Cordoba 21T is not yet available, Solid spruce w/ mahogany B/S.

The 24T is Solid cedar w/spalted maple B/S.

The Kala is solid spruce/mahogany B/S. My biggest problem with this uke is that is has a gloss finish. Not crazy about that for the neck and concerned the gloss top could hamper projection.

Was looking at a Ohana, but the only spruce tenor has a slotted headstock with back leaning tuners, not crazy about that.

Am i correct in assuming a solid mahogany top will be softer/warmer?

Any comments, suggestions? Really need to stick with this budget.
Thanks in advance.
jricc

I have had a Córdoba Spruce top Tenor w/ Rosewood back and sides, don’t remember the model number but I think you would be happy with either the Cordobas or the Kala.

I'm also looking for a loud tenor in that price range, but maybe up to 250 euros which has me looking at one or two solid mahogany tenors. I've had my eye on the Kala STG as well, and I gather it's loud from the few personal reviews I've read.

From what I know, spruce is loud, whilst cedar is warmer, & mahogany has that great mellow sound, of course, personal opinion. ;)

I like Kala & Ohana, I don't have experience of Cordoba, but in your price range, I'd be looking at getting a solid top uke.

Hi, looking to step up a little...I would like a bright sounding uke that will project. Budget is $200.

The Cordoba 21T is not yet available, Solid spruce w/ mahogany B/S.

The 24T is Solid cedar w/spalted maple B/S.

The Kala is solid spruce/mahogany B/S. My biggest problem with this uke is that is has a gloss finish. Not crazy about that for the neck and concerned the gloss top could hamper projection.

Was looking at a Ohana, but the only spruce tenor has a slotted headstock with back leaning tuners, not crazy about that.

Am i correct in assuming a solid mahogany top will be softer/warmer?

Any comments, suggestions? Really need to stick with this budget.
Thanks in advance.
jricc

Well. First off, what type of music are you looking to play? Sometimes this can have a lot to do with the type of wood you choose

In what fashion? i.e. Gigs, jams with friends, by yourself in the front of the mirror... Etc..

Also, how much money are you looking to spend? You know, Kala and Cordoba are what I like to think as "starting out brands". If your an enthusiast, and you're looking to get serious with your playing, I would say put down the toys, put your money towards something with some craftsmanship. You can get a decent bottom of the top shelf uke for around 500 - 600 from a name like "pono". The quality is significantly better, and if you have the patience and the money you wont ever have to decide what brand to buy again..

I tend to go with a spruce top / mahogony body because its a "punchier" sound. Youll often find that combination on bluegrass instruments.

Thanks for your suggestions. I know $200 is not a big budget, but for me this is going to be my main uke for teaching and playing....I did a little bit more research, and decided on the Ohana Tenor Thin body from Mims Ukes..
I think you'll be pleased with that. Can't go wrong with Mim.

Top Bottom